4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What does adding " " before or between keywords do

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

595I am reviewing a previous campaign and I see "+" before and between keywords. What does that "+" do?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What does adding " " before or between keywords do

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jennifer P,

Keyword match types help you make better use of your budgets and bring a more concise action to your campaigns. Each match type will trigger your ad to show for a customer's search in different ways.

In general, the broader the keyword matching option, the more traffic potential that keyword has. Conversely, the narrower the keyword matching option, the more relevant that keyword will be to someone's search. Understanding these differences can help you to choose the right options and improve your return on investment. When choosing the appropriate match type for a keyword, we typically recommend starting with broad match to maximize your potential to show your ads on relevant searches. And you can use the search terms report to monitor which keyword variations triggered your ads.

When you add " " before and after a keyword, you are assigning a phrase match to this keyword. Ads may show on searches that are a phrase, and close variations of that phrase.

• Symbol: "keyword"
  • Example keyword: "women's hats"
  • Example search: buy women's hats

When you add a [ ] before and after a keyword, you are assigning a exact match to this keyword. Ads may show on searches that are an exact term and close variations of that exact term.

• Symbol: [keyword]
  • Example keyword: [women's hats]
  • Example search: women's hats

When you add nothing before and after the keyword, you are assigning a broad match to this keyword. Broad match is the default match type that all your keywords are assigned. Ads may show on searches that include misspellings, synonyms, related searches, and other relevant variations.

• Example keyword: women's hats
  • Example search: buy ladies hats

When you add a + in front of a keyword, you are assigning a broad match modifier to the keyword. Ads may show on searches that contain the modified term (or close variations, but not synonyms), in any order.

• Symbol: +keyword
  • Example keyword: +women's +hats
  • Example search: hats for women

When you add a - in front of a keyword, you are assigning a negative match to the keyword. Ads may show on searches without the term.

• Symbol: -keyword
  • Example keyword: -women
  • Example search: baseball hats

Thanks for visiting today and please let us know if you need any further help.

Kind Regards,

James

Re: What does adding " " before or between keywords do

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jennifer,

A '+' sign before and between keywords means those are Broad Match Modifier keywords. The plus sign before a word indicates that the advertiser wants that specific term to be in the search query of the user for the ads to appear.

For example: If I have a keyword : +cork +yoga +block: then only a query that has all these terms will trigger my ads:
The search terms that will trigger my ads may look like:
how much cork yoga block cost
price for yoga block made of cork
4 inch block of cork for yoga.

The search terms that will NOT trigger my ads will be:
Yoga blocks wholesale
blocks for yoga
cork blocks for sale.

I hope this helps!