AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What do you mean by Avg Position(Average Position)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having a hard time comprehending the Average Position. I have several keywords which trigger the Ads as they are expected to. Since I run the campaign in US I check the position of my ads in Ad Preview And Diagnosis Tool. I have noticed that the position of my ads is between 1 to 3. However the Avg Pos column  shows that it is 7.8 or 8.9. Now I am wondering whats wrong because according to the Avg Position of my ad it is displayed between 7th and 8th or 8th amd 9th position which is not possible because it clearly contradicts the data provided by Ad Preview Tool.

Now I dont understand what is wrong. Either the Ad Preview is showing me wrong positions or the Avg Position column in the Campaign Management section.

Please help as my ad despite being displayed promptly is not attracting any traffic to my Website.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: What do you mean by Avg Position(Average Position)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

An equally important factor to consider is match type and how you are searching for your ad.

For example, if the keyword is in broad or phrase match, the queries it is matching out to can bring down it's average position. If you are using the same keyword(s) regularly in the Ad Preview and Diagnoisis Tool, you will probably see your ad in the same position on average.  Accordingly, it may seem as if something is off, when in fact you may not be considering all possibilites (which is largely impossible to begin with).  

To get better insight on this reference the Search Terms Report.  It will only show queries that have received clicks, but it could provide valuable information.

1. Go to Keywords

2. Select the Keyword(s) in Question

3. Click "See Search Terms"

4. Click "Selected"

Another factor could be geo-targeting and which locations you are testing.  The Avg Position of your Ads could vary in different locations depending on how broad you've set your location targeting.

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi AbhiShek

That can be pretty tricky to try to explain but this link may help to explain how it works.

"Understanding the Average Position metric"

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2011/04/understanding-average-position-metric.html

I hope it is helpful. Please feel free to let me know if it isn't.

Cheers!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. The link that you have sent me gives me whole lot of info on Ad Position but then there are terms like " Auction Position" which is quite a headache to comprehend.

Also it does not say anything about the discrepancies between the Ad Preview and Avg Position.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm nobody here. I'm just another Adwords person seeking answers to questions as well. I probably can't explain things as well as others can but I sure don't mind trying if it helps.

Auction position is based on how your ad ranks in like an auction that will deternime what position your ad will show on the page. Auction position is like a rating of your ad which decides its rank that determines where to place it on the page based on that rank; 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. or even which page to place it on, 1st page, 2nd page, etc.

Rank of your ads depends on quality score which is based on factors I'm not all too sure of totally, but I do know that it does includes relevancy of keywords to your ad and relevancy to the users' search queriies, and your bid. 

I think ad preview is part of the Ad Preview and Diagnosis Tool you use to see an example of your ad on the page without being on the real page which could contribute to lower quality score by increasing the number of impressions without increasing the number of clicks on your ad.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Excellent answers iamlaura, very well explained!

Just to give you a little more insight, the auction position (also known as ad position) is determined by your ad rank. This rank is calculated using your bid and quality score, improving or increasing either of these will assist in raising your ad position. There is more information on the following link -

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722122&from=6111&rd=1

Regards,

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Abhi Shek,,

>> discrepancies between the Ad Preview and Avg Position <<

It's probably not a pure coincidence that you're underlining the fact that your ads are running in the US. This makes me think you might actually be located in quite a different part of the world. E.g. the time difference between the Middle East and PST is 10 hours. This translates you might be looking at the Preview Tool when a pretty large number of US campaigns are off. Therefore you see excellent ad positions. On the other hand in the hours of the day when competition in the US is really fierce and your position is really poor you can't look at the Tool because you're sleeping ... Smiley Happy

My 2 cents.

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Abhi Shek,

Further to Lakatos excellent reply, the Ad Preview tool shows you your ad position at that particluar moment in time. You should not assume your ad always shows in the position you see with the Ad preview tool. The same is true of your QS for your keywords and the status it shows when you hover over that llittle bubble thing.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

An equally important factor to consider is match type and how you are searching for your ad.

For example, if the keyword is in broad or phrase match, the queries it is matching out to can bring down it's average position. If you are using the same keyword(s) regularly in the Ad Preview and Diagnoisis Tool, you will probably see your ad in the same position on average.  Accordingly, it may seem as if something is off, when in fact you may not be considering all possibilites (which is largely impossible to begin with).  

To get better insight on this reference the Search Terms Report.  It will only show queries that have received clicks, but it could provide valuable information.

1. Go to Keywords

2. Select the Keyword(s) in Question

3. Click "See Search Terms"

4. Click "Selected"

Another factor could be geo-targeting and which locations you are testing.  The Avg Position of your Ads could vary in different locations depending on how broad you've set your location targeting.