AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What do I need to do to get noticed

E P
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
E P
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Let's pretend I'm an idiot dumb down what I need to do to get noticed.  I just need to understand how to get started and I want an ad that will generate traffice to my site.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: What do I need to do to get noticed

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

I would strongly recommend that you start by reading the AdWords Help/Learning information (https://support.google.com/adwords/?hl=en) so that you understand the parts and pieces of your advertising campaign and how they work together. It's possible to spend a great deal of money without getting the results you want/need if you don't understand the system.

Once you understand the basic components, I would suggest you start with a small campaign--one or two dozen keywords set to Exact or Phrase match and very, very closely related to whatever product/service you're selling. (You can always add more keywords later--but start small so that you don't make costly mistakes.)

Organize these into "themed Ad Groups. If you were a plumber, your Ad Groups might look like this

Remodel bathroom

Remodel kitchen

Emergency plumber

The keywords in each Ad Group would relate specifically to the searches people might use if they were looking for that precise plumbing service.

Make certain you've set your geotargeting to include only the physical area you want to service. Set your daily spending cap and your keywords bids to what you can afford to pay. 

Then write your ads for each Ad Group. The ads in each Ad Group should "sell" the specific keywords in that Ad Group. There's a ton of great articles all over the internet about how to write good ads. (http://www.searchenginejournal.com/9-tips-to-write-effective-google-adwords-copy/8279/ - This one does a good job of describing the components of a good ad.)

Aside from that, let me suggest that the best AdWords campaign in the world won't do anything more than drive traffic to your website. It's what happens after someone lands on your website that produces your profit. If you have a product/service to sell, you might want to re-review your website, even get an outside, expert opinion on it, before you start paying to drive traffic to it.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: What do I need to do to get noticed

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

I would strongly recommend that you start by reading the AdWords Help/Learning information (https://support.google.com/adwords/?hl=en) so that you understand the parts and pieces of your advertising campaign and how they work together. It's possible to spend a great deal of money without getting the results you want/need if you don't understand the system.

Once you understand the basic components, I would suggest you start with a small campaign--one or two dozen keywords set to Exact or Phrase match and very, very closely related to whatever product/service you're selling. (You can always add more keywords later--but start small so that you don't make costly mistakes.)

Organize these into "themed Ad Groups. If you were a plumber, your Ad Groups might look like this

Remodel bathroom

Remodel kitchen

Emergency plumber

The keywords in each Ad Group would relate specifically to the searches people might use if they were looking for that precise plumbing service.

Make certain you've set your geotargeting to include only the physical area you want to service. Set your daily spending cap and your keywords bids to what you can afford to pay. 

Then write your ads for each Ad Group. The ads in each Ad Group should "sell" the specific keywords in that Ad Group. There's a ton of great articles all over the internet about how to write good ads. (http://www.searchenginejournal.com/9-tips-to-write-effective-google-adwords-copy/8279/ - This one does a good job of describing the components of a good ad.)

Aside from that, let me suggest that the best AdWords campaign in the world won't do anything more than drive traffic to your website. It's what happens after someone lands on your website that produces your profit. If you have a product/service to sell, you might want to re-review your website, even get an outside, expert opinion on it, before you start paying to drive traffic to it.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*