AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What currency should I use if my currency is not listed?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I live in Botswana and while my country is listed my curency the Bostwana Pula is not. What currency should I select and how will this affect me?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What currency should I use if my currency is not listed?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, Britt and welcome to our community.

Currency is one of the things that cannot be changed once you set up the account, so if the Botswana Pula is not available my suggestion is to check the account/credit card you want to make payments from and use that currency. If you want to use a USD account for payments (and you have a credit card linked to it), choose USD. One thing I'd try to avoid is exchange rates which may occur when I have a EUR credit cart and have to make payments in USD, or the other way around.

Here's a document that explains everything in more detail: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704358?hl=en.

One important thing stated there is that the country/currency combination may restrict your payment methods, so make sure you check those out here: https://adwords.google.com/select/AfpoFinder
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Thanks AdWiser, I have followed the link however it doens...

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks AdWiser, I have followed the link however it doens give much advise on my problem. Unfortunately I don't have a foreign credit card so what should I do then? Botswana is right next door to South Africa shoud I use Rands or would it be better to use USD?

My currency is not listed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I live in Botswana and my currency is not listed. I do not have a foreign currency credit card. Should I use South African Rand as they are our nearest neighbours or should I use USD as it is the more universal currency?

Re: Thanks AdWiser, I have followed the link however it doens...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
In this case I think you should ask the bank that issued the credit card you're going to use what the default currency in their case is. I imagine that if you choose Rands and you'll pay in BWP there will be a multiple conversion such as Rand - USD - BWP or Rand - EUR - BWP for MasterCard & Visa. I do not think that there'll be a conversion from Rand straight to BWP.

Also, from what I understood from a talk with a bank rep, even when you have a card which uses the same currency you chose when opening the account, here's what happens:
- you have to pay 100 BWP on the day Google issues the invoice
- Google does not use BWP in their systems, so it will reserve the equivalent in EUR (in the case of a Visa card), at the current VISA exchange rate. Let's say it's 5 BWP/EUR.
- On the day the transaction is executed, your bank will convert 20 EUR to BWP, and that's what you'll end up paying, in BWP. If your bank's rate, at the moment the transaction is executed, is 5.1 BWP / EUR, you'll end up paying 102 BWP. If it's 4.9, you'll end up paying 98.

In your case, I think the best thing to do is to minimize the conversions (the rates are seldom in the customer's advantage).

So I'd look at the card I want to pay with, call the bank and ask them which is the most profitable thing to do: USD, EUR or another currency.

Sorry for not being able to provide a straight, one line / one currency abbreviation answer.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much I will call them. Have a great festive season.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Thanks, you too. Let us know what they suggested, it would be very useful information for others who bump into the same situation.