AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What are the ways to become Hero from Zero after getting Adwords Certification !

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello

I have got the Adwords certification (Shopping).

I have an Adwords account & burning desire to do work. But - 

1> How i will be experienced as i am beginner here,

2> Where are the possibilities to show my ability, as better to say learn & grow opportunity,

3> How to build confidence level about different aspects of adwords without real job or problem solving?

4> Is there any dummy or mock type adwords handling/learning method to brush up my knowledge in real world?

Finally, searching for real life story who has made it - if any one please in detail.

Thanking you all.

Supriyo D.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Supriyo D
November 2016

What are the ways to become Hero from Zero after getting Adwords Certification !

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Per @Ratan-Jha, my story is indeed very real and I'm sure the others are too. 

My first campaigns were around 2000, just as AdWords became available, to advertise my Wi-Fi product certification lab in silicon valley. My first few campaigns were a complete disaster. A few years later i built a website for my business development consultancy and ran it on AdWords. I only landed a single lead in 3 months, but luckily it turned into a 2 year project.  I started doing campaigns for friends including a dentist and entered the steep learning curve phase and during that time started getting serious about really digging in and learning all the details. 

One thing for sure, to become really good at AdWords requires years of dedication. I'm sure you can see that from the range and depth of answers provided here on these forums.  No one AdWords veteran has all the answers, no matter how long they have been working at it.  It's a deep well!  But there is always room for more who are interested in the fascinating topic of PPC.

hth and best of luck!

View solution in original post

Re: What are the ways to become Hero from Zero after getting Adwords Certification !

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Supriyo D

The best would be to start using AdWords with a small budget for your own blog/website. Next, keep exploring and learning. If you come across issues, ask in the community here, and if you believe you know the right answer to a question asked by advertisers in the community here, respond to them. 

Share what you know and learn what you don't.  It's the best way of learning continuously. 

All the best!

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I started by designing and running AdWords campaigns for my own business, then for friends and associates without charging them.  This went on for a few years before I felt confident that I had valuable skills, comprehensive enough that I could deliver value to charge for.  It is a bit of a long learning curve and mistakes tend to be made along the waySmiley Happy

To accelerate the process, as @Ratan-Jha mentioned, there is nothing like hands-on time with AdWords campaigns.  However there are several good books by the AdWords masters which are worth studying, Brad Geddes comes to mind (no affiliation). 

hth & best of luck. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I couldn't agree more with @Ratan-Jha - using your own money to run an Adwords campaign is the very best motivation for climbing the learning curve.

It's one thing to manage someone else's account and realise you've made a mistake and wasted some budget - and altogether another when it comes from your own pocket.

If you don't have a website/product/service to promote, another option is to run some ads for a local charity - but you still pay! In most cases this can be written off against tax as a charitable donation, and everyone wins. The charity gets some free promotion and you get to learn.

You don't have to spend a fortune - and the lessons will be well worth the investment.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks to all.

But i am really waiting for the best answer with details.

May be or not, a real life story!

Never mind.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Supriyo,

I second all the thoughts shared above. In addition to what has be already told:

Having certification and having hands on experience both are different. In my own opinion, certification is just a paper unless you have some knowledge. Although by running campaigns of your own or working for someone else you can make your certification valuable. Without having experience you won't be able to talk confidently and debate on topics, work, strategies etc. You won't be able to convince clients. 

Every experienced individual is once a beginner and fresher. We learn, we work and we gain experience. As you mentioned above you have an AdWords Account, work on your account and try to improve performance. Challenge yourself, keep an eye on all new updates and implement them in your account wherever applicable. If you find yourself stuck, ask here in the community. 

If you do not have AdWords account and you do not want to spend your own money or you don't have own business/blog to advertise and learn. You can always join and organization and work on campaign. The only way to learn is to work on campaigns. You will feel more confidence, you will be able to think more strategically & more.

You can create dummy account on AdWords but you can't run them live as it needs money. Its a pay per click platform. 

Real world knowledge can only possible when you will run campaigns or work in a real world. As far as real story concerned, I started as a beginner and slowly by working on campaigns I learned and by my mistakes I learned and by keeping myself update I learned and I am learning.

I hope above makes some sense! I just wanted to let you know turn your passion in to reality! 

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes Madam

You are right in between certificate & knowledge.

I saw some people wants to check previous experience through real past performance (excluding personal data) - can i show there my own adwords account?

Basically i am from a region & neighbourhood or circle where "Adwords account manager" - a totally new term - none to guide me.

Also, there is no any charitable trust from where i can reimburse my expenses.

Then only one way remains - invest in my adwords account & learn - is not it?

Anything else which i have missed?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Ofcourse you can show own AdWords account. Before you start spending money on AdWords I would advice you to read and learn about AdWords thoroughly. Below are the AdWords help center and Exam guide links which you might already be aware of:

https://support.google.com/adwords#topic=3119071

https://support.google.com/partners/answer/3153810?hl=en

To keep yourself update (subscribe): https://adwords.googleblog.com/

And if you face any issue while working on campaign, you can search in the community. If questions are not already being asked, you can start a new thread here. And community will be happy to help you.

Thank You!

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: What are the ways to become Hero from Zero after getting Adwords Certification !

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Supriyo D

It's becoming interesting...  can't help adding more to it. Smiley Happy

Every expert here has a story, and they are real ones. Every one of us has learned AdWords over a period, and even today the process of learning is ongoing. This is the very fact that makes AdWords complex and challenging, yet exciting and amazing. The process itself is overwhelming. Nobody around cares for the destination as the journey itself is enjoyable. 

You won't go from zero to hero overnight. Nobody else can. But, you will start moving towards it the moment you commit to learning. 

You have got some great insights in the above posts, take them and start working. 

For some motivation, read these interviews from some of the featured community members

All the best!

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Supriyo D
November 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Per @Ratan-Jha, my story is indeed very real and I'm sure the others are too. 

My first campaigns were around 2000, just as AdWords became available, to advertise my Wi-Fi product certification lab in silicon valley. My first few campaigns were a complete disaster. A few years later i built a website for my business development consultancy and ran it on AdWords. I only landed a single lead in 3 months, but luckily it turned into a 2 year project.  I started doing campaigns for friends including a dentist and entered the steep learning curve phase and during that time started getting serious about really digging in and learning all the details. 

One thing for sure, to become really good at AdWords requires years of dedication. I'm sure you can see that from the range and depth of answers provided here on these forums.  No one AdWords veteran has all the answers, no matter how long they have been working at it.  It's a deep well!  But there is always room for more who are interested in the fascinating topic of PPC.

hth and best of luck!