AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What are the cons to using Google AdWords? Do you think it works for a carpet cleaning company.?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am starting a new carpet cleaning business in Sarasota, Fl (I've been in the industry for 37 years) and because I am old school in regards to advertising I am basically clueless in this modern form of Google Adwords advertising, so any help would be appreciated. I have many questions, but opinions on the pros and cons of using Adwords from those of you who use it would be a good start for me. Thank you.

2 Expert replyverified_user

What are the cons to using Google AdWords? Do you think it works for a carpet cleaning company.?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Rich,

AdWords is built for guys like you to put their product or service in front of the general audience. You are not B2B and practically can service any one in your service area, for which reason I could not think of a con. Competition of course may sometimes be quite fierce and it's not really easy to deal with deep pocked rivals, however, that's an issue dependent on your location and not inherent in the system itself. 

Go ahead with your specific questions when it comes to that. As a first piece of advice: make sure you apply radius targeting when setting your location targeting options.

Best,

Lakatos

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Rich,

AdWords is a wonderful online communication channel to improve business for the audience who are looking for your products and services, where they will directly engage with your website and business, However to start up just go understand the basics and understand structure of online campaigns that u want to run on AdWords.

I would prefer business like your can go with call only ads and search ads initially to understand the performance,Ensure you set up Right daily budget based on the ROI and ROAS.

please refer this link to set up and more

https://support.google.com/adwords#topic=3119071

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the rapid reply, Lakatos. When you mentioned "radius targeting" am I to assume that it will cost me more depending on how far out (radius) I advertise? For example with something like EDDM's, I can pick and choose my zip codes. And with say, Valpak I can pick my areas, or zones. But with Google Adwords I am envisioning something more along the lines of an overhead map like you would see on either google maps, or craigslist. The further out the map (my chosen areas) I go the more it will cost. Am I correct and if not could you please explain? Thank you again. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your response, Bhanumurthy G. That's what I'm trying to do here.....learn the basics. And with the help of you and Lakatos I'm sure that will speed up my learning curve. Don't get mad at me if I ask more questions. Thanks again.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Anytime and we are here to help Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

You set your own budget, so regardless of the size of the market, your budget is your choice.  Now, the larger the area you target, the more people in the market, the more people see your ads (this is not an extra charge).

You can pick and choose by zip codes, cities, states, countries.  There are lots of targeting options.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rich, you already have a lot of good feedback i would just add these thoughts:

If you setup an AdWords campaign properly it should become your most cost-effective method of acquiring new customers.  As your campaign starts to evolve, keep in eye on the key performance indicators: #clicks, ctr, avg cpc, conversion rate, and average cost per conversion. Make sure you setup conversion tracking.  And make sure you setup all forms of ad extensions, including the new messaging extensions (sms text messaging) 

I would target by zip code (it's OK to overlay with city name targeting, and/or radius targeting); and do a thorough job on keyword research.  Similar keywords should be grouped into ad groups each with their own custom, highly relevant ad. If you look at other carpet cleaning websites around the country, and study them you should be able to figure out the important keywords to target.  In AdWords, each keyword is actually a miniature market with it's own behavior.  Usually in markets like yours there are a number of mini-markets centered around groups of keywords. 

I would phrase and exact match target the keywords, while making careful use of modified broad match. Monitor what search terms are matching up to your keywords, and start building up your negative keywords to make the campaign more efficient.  For example, "free" may belong on your campaign-wide negative keyword list.

Make sure your website is laid out well, fast, and that the landing pages for your service(s) are well matched to each ad group. This will boost your conversion rate and improve your quality scores, leading to better ad rank and lower click costs. 

If most of your leads come in via phone calls, that is sort of an advanced topic but I would do all i could to track each lead, down to the keyword and search term level.  Also keep an eye on how much of your converting traffic is coming in from mobile; if your site is mobile friendly i would expect it may be as high as 60%.

hth and good luck with your campaign! There are plenty of AdWords experts here to assist you as specific questions arise. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, Shanee. I appreciate your input. That makes perfect sense. You guys are so helpful.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for that well thought out reply, Steven. I an a stickler for tracking where my advertising dollars go and how prospects heard of me, so I got that down. I will most certainly re-read your post (and others too)  so I can fully grasp all that knowledge. Thanks again and have a Happy New Year.