star_border

Web Address as Negative Keyword?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I want to use negative keywords to filter out a specific domain, let's say:

www.ex-ample.com

(this is an example address that includes a hyphen in the name).

How would I use negative keywords to do this?

I'm unsure given the punctuation in this keyword (the periods and the hyphen in the domaion name) and because there are different negative match types (negative phrase, negative exact, negative borad).

Thanks for the help in advance!

4 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex K
September 2015

Re: Web Address as Negative Keyword?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Alex,

I see. Actually, I believe Google sees www.ex-ample.com as wwwexamplecom. Google search generally ignores punctuation and spaces.

Try this: Add wwwexamplecom as negative phrase match. Then go to the Ad Preview tool and see if you can trigger your ad with any combinations of spaces, punctuation and all of the letters, in the same order, in the negative keyword. My bet is that will work for you.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Alex,

I am late here, just came online actually! Yours is an interesting situation and seems like you got solution already Smiley Happy

If I would be in your place, first I would make sure I am running ex-ample and variations of this keyword in seprate adgroup following the practice of having close knit adgroups.

Since you don not want domain to get trigger, may be you can add following negative keywords at adgroup level:

com
"wwwexamplecom"
"www.example.com"
http
https
"examplecom"
"example.com"
etc

See as Pete excellently adviced you Google ignore puctuations. You need not to worry about hyphen, underscore, dot etc. But to be on safer side it is I beleive fine to add variations in negative list.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I am not quite sure I understand the logic behind your question;

Why would your ad be triggered, at all, against a search query which is a domain name?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Because I'm bidding on "ex-ample"

I would like to prevent www.ex-ample.com from triggering my ad.

From my understanding, Google sees www.ex-ample.com as www ex ample com which is what is throwing my off.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hmm... interesting;

@Neha Gupta ?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Alex K,

Just enter as a negative keyword, AdWords will figure it out. This will only filter queries that include that domain name. I will not prevent your ads from showing on that domain, if that's what you're after.

If it's your own domain name and you don't want your ad to show when folks search using your domain name, you might want to rethink your strategy. Certainly, you don't want to pay for clicks from your current customers, but do you really want not to show your ad after a search for your domain when it's likely your competitors ads will show?

If domain belongs to someone else, does your ad really show when the search query is that domain?

Like Moshe, I'm a little confused about your objective.

Best of Luck!

Pete
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex K
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Alex,

I see. Actually, I believe Google sees www.ex-ample.com as wwwexamplecom. Google search generally ignores punctuation and spaces.

Try this: Add wwwexamplecom as negative phrase match. Then go to the Ad Preview tool and see if you can trigger your ad with any combinations of spaces, punctuation and all of the letters, in the same order, in the negative keyword. My bet is that will work for you.

Best of Luck!

Pete

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

It's not my domain and I haven't exactly launched my first campaign yet. I'm getting all my ducks in a row and I guess sometimes I overthink a few things that might be rather simple. Thanks for the reply. I will just use it as a negative keyword and see later if my ad still gets triggered.

Thanks guys.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
HI Alex,

I have a domain name with a hyphen in it, astro-auction.com. I did a little test with wwwastroauctioncom as the search query. It did indeed find my domain. I'm still betting the negative keyword with no punctuation and no spaces will take care of you. Not everyone will enter the www. part, so be sure to take that into consideration when building you negative keywords.

Pete

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Pete,

So if I want to prevent "ex-ample.com" from triggering my ad, what negative keyword should I use?

I guess I could use all variations since they shouldn't affect anything else, like

"wwwexamplecom"

"www.ex-ample.com"

"examplecom"

etc.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Alex,

I am late here, just came online actually! Yours is an interesting situation and seems like you got solution already Smiley Happy

If I would be in your place, first I would make sure I am running ex-ample and variations of this keyword in seprate adgroup following the practice of having close knit adgroups.

Since you don not want domain to get trigger, may be you can add following negative keywords at adgroup level:

com
"wwwexamplecom"
"www.example.com"
http
https
"examplecom"
"example.com"
etc

See as Pete excellently adviced you Google ignore puctuations. You need not to worry about hyphen, underscore, dot etc. But to be on safer side it is I beleive fine to add variations in negative list.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’