AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ways of managing accounts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Were opening a new business to manage AdWords Accounts.

Pawlak Weissmann Systems.

Culver City

As I see, there are two basic ways of managing an AdWords account:

• The client opens his adwords account and pays the monthly spend, whereafter we connect to the account and manage it remotely - or
  • We create his adwords account and pay the monthly spend and bill it back to the client with any other service fees or surcharges.

The former might be safer in terms of reducing the liability for the CPC spend, but runs the risk that the client gets his hands into the configuration, which could complicate performance.

The latter while it assures control over the configuration runs the risk of the client deciding not to pay. At least with account control, it can be frozen until any differences are resolved.

To resolve the latter problem, one could ask for monthly pre-pay of the CPC spend. 

But if one is taking over existing accounts, they may come in all flavors: that is owned by the customer or by another agent on a customer's behalf. So how is this issue best resolved in the industry? What is most common?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David P
January 2017

Re: Ways of managing accounts

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@David P

As @Shanee_Kirk mentioned make sure that the payment method set (e.g. a credit card) is the client's. You don't want to risk your relations with Google because  clicks accrued, on a client's account,  are not paid.

If you wish to pay on behalf of the client this can be done only by consolidated billing. In this structure Google authorizes you to collect the charges (for clicks)  from a  client,  and transfer it to Google.

Note: the client owns the account. These are  AdWords TOS.  Opening an account on behalf of a client using your CC - is not an account structure allowed (though, practically,  this is done),. The consequence could be horrendous (e.g. If  the account run into a Policy violation, you are also flagged  because your credit card is used.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

moving your thread from the GMB board to the adwords board of this forum

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nobody knows?

Can the control points of an AdWords account be controlled? That is, If the client owns the AdWords account to see it and, well pay it, can it be made "read only" so that he is limited on the changes to configuration that can be made.

If that were possible then there's no other question. Otherwise, I'm wondering how others manage this situation.

I suppose one could expect that the client would listen to your suggestions, and give permission to make changes once it's discussed between you. But it seems to me that this would be in a perfect world.

One could say, "well, if he gets in and starts changing things, that's his decision". But it seems for one, that this leads to ambiguity with respect to "responsibility for performance". We become vulnerable. Especially in that we wish be a performance based company.

If one has to manage and account completely owned, perhaps even controlled by the client, then you must act (and charge I suppose) as purely a consultant?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

We always allow the client to "own" the account.  The client pays the spend directly to Adwords and our mgmt fees separately.  When/If we part ways, the client takes their account with them.

We do tell the clients up front that they should not make any changes to the accounts while we are managing it.  Occasionally, we get the one meddler client that can't keep his hands off the account and we have to "reprimand" him.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David P
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@David P

As @Shanee_Kirk mentioned make sure that the payment method set (e.g. a credit card) is the client's. You don't want to risk your relations with Google because  clicks accrued, on a client's account,  are not paid.

If you wish to pay on behalf of the client this can be done only by consolidated billing. In this structure Google authorizes you to collect the charges (for clicks)  from a  client,  and transfer it to Google.

Note: the client owns the account. These are  AdWords TOS.  Opening an account on behalf of a client using your CC - is not an account structure allowed (though, practically,  this is done),. The consequence could be horrendous (e.g. If  the account run into a Policy violation, you are also flagged  because your credit card is used.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Shanee,

That was our original plan, but the more we got into trying to work to
performance, we saw the desire to reduce client influence affecting our
well though out planning.

But from what I can make out, in general, as long as you are doing your
job, for the most part, there is little meddling. We hope that we will be
able to short circuit this meddling with a solid and documented feedback of
our management plans for the week.

I guess in the end they pay for improvements (whatever the billing method -
consultation based or performance based), and if they find someone better,
all the best of luck to them....

Perhaps I worry too much for the dogs out there that do what ever they can
to get good advice for free. I suppose that our exposure only is month per
month.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the consolidated billing information. I'll have to look into
this and how it's done. Good potential solution.

And thanks for the Note: I did say I understood the terms of service,
didn't I....? Smiley Tongue

I know I have seen people saying that they open accounts with their own CC
on behalf of clients, and bill pre-pay!

It's refreshing to see people that answer posts like you do. (and Shanee Smiley Happy
Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi moshe. thanks for the good reply

if the manager account holder has an account and it gets suspended and card gets flagged. can that card still be used for other client accounts?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.