AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

View-through conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All!

I wanted information about the View Through Conversions.

We have a Remarketing campaign in Adwords.

The no of conversions(1-per-click) are : 219 & no of VTCs are :629.

The VTCs aren't counted in the regular conversions. That means, the revenue VTCs generate wont be added to the revenue of regular conversions, & we wont be able to measure the exact ROI.

Is there any way to calculate the revenue generated by VTCs?

Why there is so much of difference between regular conversions & VTCs? Does that mean that, the ads are not much powerful or attractive?

How can we measure the VTC performance(like CPA or conversion rate etc)?

Thanks,

Saket

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Saket K
September 2015

Re: View-through conversions

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
You can change the creatives and you will likely seesome differences in the cTR - however, there are significant differences between the search and display networks in terms of the frame of mind and the motivation of the user.

when someone is searching they are in "active" mode - they have a problem (problem might not be the right word - but they have something which motivates them to go to Google and run a search).... they are actively looking for an answer - and your ad might provide that answer.

however, with the GDN they are in "passive" mode - at least as far as the ads are concerned. They are browsing another web page - there's one I look at regularly which lists the soccer games that are being televised this week. When I go to that website I am looking for that information - the ads are not generally of interest, and often the only reason I notice them is because they are some of my client's remarketing ads ;-)

Or I might be on a news portal page.

Or checking the weather.

Or... whatever - but what I'm not doing is looking for what you offer.

That said, depending upon how your campaign is set up, when I'm looking at the soccer game TV listings, I might see you ad offering the new big screen TV - or an offer on your home delivery beer offer.... both of which make sense, and might catch my attention. But the ads will have to interrupt me from doing what I'm doing.

The idea that I saw the ad, and then later on remembered the web address and visited directly is much harder to imagine.

The idea that I saw the ad, and then saw your company again somewhere else and visited is much more likely - why? Because I should be being targeted everywhere I go.

The better the targeting, the more likely there will be VTC simply because the more likely someone is to be exposed to the ads.

I have a client that sells industrial generators. Not a massive market. So we are careful to run ads to very strict search terms. We also run ads on the GDN, but again very, very select keywords.

And we also run ads on Linked In and we are looking at facebook - again highly targeted... the only people who will be making any kind of decision regarding industrial back up energy are going to be C Suite....

If I am doing my job properly these same people - and there are relatively few of them - should be seeing my ads on a number of platforms. I would hope that most of my visitors trigger a VTC - that simply means that my targeting is right - not that the ads are working.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi - the problem with VTC is that they don't directly trigger the conversion themselves - the conversion will be attributed to some other traffic source. So - a person sees an ad (or doesn't if, for example it was below the fold) and doesn't click on it... some time later (and the window used to be fixed at 30 days - but just last week Google changed this so that we can change it to suit up to a maximum of 90 days) they arrive at your site from another source and convert.

The VTC takes credit for the conversion - claiming that the visitor saw your ad some time ago.... and that this impacted on the conversion in some way.

This may be true, or it may not be - there are pretty heated debates here every so often about the value of VTC's... but one thing that is ceertain is that the conversion in question has been attributed to the other source.

Imagine, then, a situation where the conversion was triggered by a visit to a paid bing ad... how do you allocate the ROI? To bing or to Google?

Or it came from a referral from an affiliate.... you're still going to have to pay the affiliate - they will not accept a reduced commission because of a VTC....

So exactly how you attribute ROI to VTC is difficult.

One final point - and please don't take offence as this is unlikely to be the case - but often PPC manager include the VTC data to make their numbers look better - clients can see through that quite easily and if you open that door, then prepare to be backed into a corner trying to explain how the cost per conversion being presented is so much lower that the true costs, because you have included VTC's for ads that were below the fold and the visitor could never have seen..... that's just asking for trouble in my opinion!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Saket,

Welcome to the AdWords CommunitySmiley Happy

View through conversion occurs when someone sees your ads on GDN, then the users complete the conversions on your website.

Is there any way to calculate the revenue generated by VTCs?

How can we measure the VTC performance(like CPA or conversion rate etc)?

No, it’s a very complicated topic to measure in terms of ROI. You cannot calculate your ROI generated through View through conversions. However it will help you to track the importance of the GDN networks, as users saw your ads but did not click your ads but later they complete the conversions. View Through Conversions are just an indicator for which placement is good to keep,Because it can have many impressions and later users complete the conversions. A placement with no 1-per-click conversions and no VTC can be deleted it is useless. so you can not calculate the CPA.

Why there is so much of difference between regular conversions & VTCs?

You will find your answers in this thread.

Does that mean that, the ads are not much powerful or attractive?

Again it is difficult to say that whether your ad-copy is relevant or not, If you look into other aspects- a visitor saw your ads and later complete the conversion means it is good symbol as well that you are not paying anything for any clicks and getting in the conversions.

Hope this will help youSmiley Happy

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the valuable info stickleback!

Lets say there is a situation, where the ad was above the fold, user saw it, and still dint click.

Was the ad so ordinary? Do we need to change/improve the creatives?

Can you please tell me, if we can we measure this?

According to me, there is a possibility that, the ad was above the fold, user saw it, dint click, later went directly to the website and purchased/created a lead.

Can we measure this possibility(although it might seem a slightest possibility, but still it's valuable, right?!)

Does Adwords have any advanced feature? If not, would we able to measure this in future?

Thanks in advance!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply Rakesh!

To count the revenue generated by all the adwords features is really important for me.

Isn't there any Advanced feature or ANY way to find it?!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Saket K
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
You can change the creatives and you will likely seesome differences in the cTR - however, there are significant differences between the search and display networks in terms of the frame of mind and the motivation of the user.

when someone is searching they are in "active" mode - they have a problem (problem might not be the right word - but they have something which motivates them to go to Google and run a search).... they are actively looking for an answer - and your ad might provide that answer.

however, with the GDN they are in "passive" mode - at least as far as the ads are concerned. They are browsing another web page - there's one I look at regularly which lists the soccer games that are being televised this week. When I go to that website I am looking for that information - the ads are not generally of interest, and often the only reason I notice them is because they are some of my client's remarketing ads ;-)

Or I might be on a news portal page.

Or checking the weather.

Or... whatever - but what I'm not doing is looking for what you offer.

That said, depending upon how your campaign is set up, when I'm looking at the soccer game TV listings, I might see you ad offering the new big screen TV - or an offer on your home delivery beer offer.... both of which make sense, and might catch my attention. But the ads will have to interrupt me from doing what I'm doing.

The idea that I saw the ad, and then later on remembered the web address and visited directly is much harder to imagine.

The idea that I saw the ad, and then saw your company again somewhere else and visited is much more likely - why? Because I should be being targeted everywhere I go.

The better the targeting, the more likely there will be VTC simply because the more likely someone is to be exposed to the ads.

I have a client that sells industrial generators. Not a massive market. So we are careful to run ads to very strict search terms. We also run ads on the GDN, but again very, very select keywords.

And we also run ads on Linked In and we are looking at facebook - again highly targeted... the only people who will be making any kind of decision regarding industrial back up energy are going to be C Suite....

If I am doing my job properly these same people - and there are relatively few of them - should be seeing my ads on a number of platforms. I would hope that most of my visitors trigger a VTC - that simply means that my targeting is right - not that the ads are working.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much stickleback!

The explanation was such a nice detailed & helpful piece of information!

Really appreciated!

Thanks again! Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor