AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Video Campaign: View Counts Dont Match Promised Return

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys!!

So, Im new to adwords as Im typically just on YouTube.

Okay, so to make a long story short...

I decided to use the "promote" button on one of my videos, and set up an adwords campaign with a $500 budget. YouTube estimated a return of 14,000 to 56,000 video views with this amount.

So, using THEIR math (not mine, theirs... 50,000 / 500 = .01 per click, or 14,000 / 500 = .035 per click) I set my max CPC at $0.04.

Well, here we are later and absolutely NO views, NOTHING new. I do some digging and find that many people recommend an average CPC of $.10 all the way to $1!!!

WHAT. THE. F*CK?

I even looked at the ads run on my videos, and they're usually around .10 cpc.

Something doesn't add up right. 

How does google figure this? 

I want the advertised 14-56K. 

Its entirely possible that I'm missing something here, if so, feel free to enlighten me as to what. 

Thanks in advance...

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lanse E
September 2015

Re: Video Campaign: View Counts Dont Match Promised Return

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Good afternoon.

Estimates in any of these systems are always just that--estimates. It's not unusual for the competitive marketplace to outrun the estimator tool--that is, for actual costs to come in higher than the estimates.

Google cannot control what the competitive marketplace bids--the company can determine that it thinks is the correct bid but if most everyone on the system is bidding higher, then the competitive marketplace is what sets the click cost. Make sense?

Google does not "promise" any traffic at all.

It estimates what kind of traffic you could receive. That's a very different thing.

If you want to promote your videos, you can still do so. It's up to you whether or not you feel that the cost of paying for views is worth whatever return you'll get. 

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lanse E
September 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Good afternoon.

Estimates in any of these systems are always just that--estimates. It's not unusual for the competitive marketplace to outrun the estimator tool--that is, for actual costs to come in higher than the estimates.

Google cannot control what the competitive marketplace bids--the company can determine that it thinks is the correct bid but if most everyone on the system is bidding higher, then the competitive marketplace is what sets the click cost. Make sense?

Google does not "promise" any traffic at all.

It estimates what kind of traffic you could receive. That's a very different thing.

If you want to promote your videos, you can still do so. It's up to you whether or not you feel that the cost of paying for views is worth whatever return you'll get. 

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, I understand being off by a few cents, but this is 10x what they advertised. A 1,000% margin of error? What gives? 

How do I get what they advertise? Thats what I want... 

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

And I can only repeat that estimates are not warranted to match performance in the live environment. The information you read before starting your advertising no doubt included this information, or a link to a fuller explanation and disclaimer.

You were not "promised" anything. The system tried to provide you with an estimate of what traffic you might get. 

If you still want to advertise, you will need to reconsider your bid levels and think about what you can afford to bid and still keep your advertising campaign profitable.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*