4.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Video Campaign Keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I am monitoring a video campaign that was started before I was hired, and the Ad was getting great response. I looked at the search terms being used and added a few phrase match terms, and also added more precise geolocation and some age group targeting. The Ad dropped from over 2,000 impressions a week to only 4 or 5 impressions. I undid all of my changes except for the keywords, because I though adding keywords could not have affected anything.

Today, after no change in the weekly impressions for another week, I looked at the keywords. The only keywords in the campaign are the three I added. "Change History" shows I added keywords, but not that any were removed. What could have happened? Don't video ads need keywords, too? If there were no keywords there before, when would the Ad show?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Scott C
July

Video Campaign Keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Scott,

There are several methods of targeting and keywords are not required. Please read this info to learn more about targeting for video ads. From here, go through each tab of your campaign and remove/reverse the actions applied. Even with the changes, the system may not return to the same level of performance it had before the changes. You may want to pause the campaign and make a new one (which may or may not return to the level of performance it was). Once things are altered the system can respond to them in ways of predictable... and older campaigns can perform quite differently from new ones.

Kind Regards,

James 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Scott C
July

Video Campaign Keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Scott,

There are several methods of targeting and keywords are not required. Please read this info to learn more about targeting for video ads. From here, go through each tab of your campaign and remove/reverse the actions applied. Even with the changes, the system may not return to the same level of performance it had before the changes. You may want to pause the campaign and make a new one (which may or may not return to the level of performance it was). Once things are altered the system can respond to them in ways of predictable... and older campaigns can perform quite differently from new ones.

Kind Regards,

James 

Video Campaign Keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you James! My limited experience comes from the Search Network, so keywords dominate my thought process. The page you directed me to is great. It seems to be saying that if I select demographic groups such as an age range and/or gender and a location, it will show the ads to anyone who matches that description no matter what video they're searching for on YouTube. Is that correct?
This would indicate that the big mistake I made was adding any keywords at all!
It seems I greatly limited the campaigns reach instead of expanding it.

Video Campaign Keywords

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Scott,

You are very welcome.

Yes, that is correct... and the keywords handcuffed your targeting. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

James