AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Very strange campaign results

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi There,

We run three events each year and the Display results for the first two follow previous years. But results for the third event (running now) look really strange compared to the previous two.

The Impressions and the clicks are really, really low (under 66,000 impressions and under 100 clicks) after almost a week. I tried doubling the bid to $1.60 enhanced (previous campaigns have hovered around $.80 to $1.20) but no change.

We're seeing conversion rates of 171.43% and 165.67% because the conversions are higher than the amount of clicks?

The Ad Group statuses say 'Eligible' - the ads within the groups are 'Approved' but maybe 'Eligible' is normal?

We're using Display Keywords so have combed through the negative keywords several times but everything looks correct. These events are food related so we're excluding anything around restaurants near me, food near me, good restaurants etc. This what we've done in previous years so am not sure this is the issue.

Any suggestions or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Very strange campaign results

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @CMSCSS;

There could be several reasons:

1. Your targeting method. I would not recommend negative keyword in display campaigns.
  2. How many keyword are you using? 10-15 would do, Use broad keywords, which collectively defines a common theme.
  3. Do you have banners of all sizes? Do you bid higher on the bigger banners?

Read more;

Display Network - How many Targeting Methods to choose?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ben,

Were your click through rates higher for your prior two events?

What is a "conversion" for your business?

I wonder if you are tracking "conversions" rather than "unique conversions".
The prior means that a single user can convert multiple times.
I've seen many do this unintentionally.

Checkout this help article on the subject,
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3438531?hl=en

Hope this helps some!

And I'll see if I can help you further,
Justin Fuchs

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks heaps for the replies guys, here's what I've tried:
- Removed all negative keywords
- Reduced keywords list to about 12 (things like food, recipes, wine etc)
- I'm using 300x250 and 728x90 sizes
- Checked I'm tracking all conversions

I've also just tried deleting all keywords and starting again but with some ad groups, I've noticed I can't delete the keywords as some of them have a status of 'Not Managed'.

What does that mean - have read 3 help articles but can't find info on what 'Not Managed' means with Display Keywords. Could this be the cause?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@CMSCSS;

The keywords you use are too broad....

Check the article I linked.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
But you told us to use broad keywords in your last reply?

Just to recap, we've run these types of campaigns three times a year for several years (same ad groups, same keywords, similar ads) but for some reason, the results for this campaign look totally different.

This leads us to believe we've some how miss-configured the campaign or triggered something different during the setup - it doesn't make any sense

What does 'Not Managed' mean with regard to Display Keywords and could this be the cause as we don't see this when looking at other campaigns.

Hope that make sense.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@CMSCSS;

I strongly encourage you to read the article;

I explain there:

">>Keywords should not be too specific, but also not too broad. For example, airline tickets could be too broad, however, low cost air tickets, budget air tickets in Europe, last minute cheap flight are all examples of keywords which together work collectively to define a theme of low cost airline tickets.

As for the "not managed" please upload a screenshot so we see.  I don't recall seeing that.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks heaps for the reply,

I'm going to make the keywords broad until we start seeing impressions inline with previous years - I can always narrow them down to make the campaign more efficient after we get to the bottom of this right?

Attached is a screenshot showing some of the keywords for the Beverages ad group which show the 'Not Managed' status.

not-managed.png

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Is this a remarketing campaign?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks heaps,

It's not a remarketing campaign, it just has keywords in it - the 'Interests & remarketing' tab has nothing in it. Is there another way to check?

We do have a Remarketing campaign but it's in a completely different campaign - not in another Ad Group within the same campaign if that makes sense.

Cheers

Ben