AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Verify These 2 Broad Match Keywords Won't Compete Against Each Other

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can someone please verify these 2 Broad Match Keywords aren't competing against one another.

+Places to +Swim

&

+Best +Places to +Swim

What does the addition of one word do when it comes to which keyword would generate the ad and placement on the SERP? Like if someone searched: "Where are the best places to swim?" ... One would think they would both generate an ad for this question, but does the one with +Best generate an ad at better cpc versus without the word +Best? I guess I am asking if this strategy can hurt the account or cause budget cannibalism?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

It's not really cannibalism.  It's more of testing.  I often test variations of the same keyword in different match types.  You are not hurting yourself by having similar variations.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @sean h,

Most probably, +Best +Places to +Swim will trigger the ads but if +Places to +Swim has better QS and higher bid then it may participate in the ad auction instead of the one with +best.

As suggested by @Shanee_Kirk, I would also add both as the one with +best will trigger the ads only if best will be included in the user's query but +Places to +Swim is eligible to trigger the ads for popular places for swimming

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I would personally prefer to create two ad groups. One for "places to swim" and another one for "best places to swim" and I would add a negative keyword "best" to "places to swim" ad group in order to have full control. Like this you can also create more relevant ad texts and get better quality score.

Regards,

Hana