4.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Variants on Negative Exact Match?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Seems like a basic question, but I have been searching for a while and I just can't find the answer from a trustworthy Google source:

To my knowledge, exact match was recently modified so that it will include variants. (seems to be confirmed by the current explanation of keyword match types).

My question is whether this applies to negative exact match as well?

For instance, if I have a term like [software engineers] in my list of negatives, will this inherently extend to "software engineer" (as a variant)?

Ultimately, I really just want to know how to keyword on one variant, but not the other. 

Also, I guess I am a little concerned about the scope of reasonable variation... engineering, engineers, engineer... etc.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Re: Variants on Negative Exact Match?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Evan,

exact match close variant only applies to positive keywords so this feature wouldn't enhance the scope of negative keywords. Exact match negatives will ONLY block that one exact term/phrase.

Close variations include misspellings, singular forms, plural forms, acronyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), abbreviations, and accents. I would recommend keeping a close eye on your search term report so if you find "unreasonable" variations you can negative match them. Full article: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

-Jim
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Re: Variants on Negative Exact Match?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Evan,

exact match close variant only applies to positive keywords so this feature wouldn't enhance the scope of negative keywords. Exact match negatives will ONLY block that one exact term/phrase.

Close variations include misspellings, singular forms, plural forms, acronyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), abbreviations, and accents. I would recommend keeping a close eye on your search term report so if you find "unreasonable" variations you can negative match them. Full article: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

-Jim
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.