AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

VPNs and Adwords Geotargeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Question to the community from a beginning advertiser.

I'm just going to assume that VPN usage is going to increase in the U.S. If we get to a point where there's a significant % of the population using a VPN—something like 1 in 5 internet users—how will this affect geotargeting in Adwords campaigns? How will I know for certain that a user who shows as a CA user is really located in CA? 

Thank you! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

You don't, but in this particular case, they will tell you.

If the end user location cannot be determined (or is determined by the VPN), then generic queries for location specific services won't return the result the end user is looking for. "X near me" doesn't work in that case, so the end user has to search for "X in CA". If "X in CA" terms are profitable, then include them. If not, exclude them.

Location targeting never has been perfect - Both for the end user and advertisers. If users in your targeted market have to add a location modifier to find local businesses, then that will be reflected in the search query data.

Tom

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

VPN users are aware that their real physical location is different than the one registered on the ISP. So they search by intent (i.e includes the location within the query)

And the other point is that I am not sure I agree with your  assumption / hypothesis: Today the number of searches  on mobile (in which location is accurate) has already passed the number of queries on  desktops and the trend continues. As mobile users take a bigger slice of the total search volume,  the VPN issue becomes negligible.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So how does this affect my geo-targeting.
If I put my adds on USA  excample till 2am and someone uses vpn to access usa after 2am will it be counted as usa or the actual location?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’