2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Using values from GA custom variables for remarketing lists

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have set up a series of custom variables in GA that collect information from form fields on my page. One variable collects the make and model of the user's car. The variables work fine and I can see the data collected in GA.

Then I have tried to create a series of remarketing lists based on the make and model, so that I can target for example VW Golf owners after they have left my site. 

For some reason these remarketing lists are not getting populated with the visitors (that I can see in GA). I have tried building the lists using visitors segments and have played with both sequence and dimension filters, all variations of criteria (Contains, begins with, matchesRegExp, etc.) but nothing has worked so far.

I have also tried building a custom segment in GA and that works fine but I have found no way to use this segment to create remarketing lists.

Any suggestions are welcome at this point!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using values from GA custom variables for remarketing lists

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Mads,

Thank you for your posting. When you created your remarketing lists based on the make and model, did you do it by pasting the remarketing tag on all the relevant pages of your website? If not, please follow the directions on how to Add the remarketing tag to your site or mobile app from our Adwords Help page.

Re: Using values from GA custom variables for remarketing lists

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi JP,
According to Adwords the remarketing tag is active - and it is on all the correct pages. Do I need to add individual tags for each of these new lists?
Mads