Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Using the Country name when already Ads are targeted to that country

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Friends,

I'm targeting ads only to a certain country, but can I use country name with the keywords again. Anyway if I use the country name or not, Ads will only appear when users form that country search particular keyword.

Can I neglect country name and just use keyword alone?

I like to know adding country name will increase ad relevance as some users use country names when searching most of the time.

Is it okey to use both "keyword alone" and "keyword with country" as two keywords in same Ad Group.

Will this cause make competition b/w these two keywords ?

This must be a basic question, but I'm a beginner. Please help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Yes;

Adding a location name (especially of a  large location as a country) to the keyword is a redundancy;

Even if the user includes  the location in  the search  query, the system recognizes that as a "location by intent"

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@MosheTLV Thanks for reply.

Will this improve Ad relevance ? 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

This is a redundancy, "overloads" the routine  keyword optimization

Relevance is measured by the CTR. The higher the CYR the ad is more relevant to users. (If the ad is clicked this means users find it relevant)

My recommendation: your primary goal  is to focus on improving CTR. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Sandaruwan S

As @MosheTLV said you do not need to include the country name. Make sure your location targeting is set up correctly and choose keywords that your target audience will search. Check out the Keyword Planner for help choosing keywords. Once you have some data you can start making meaningful adjustments and improve that click-through-rate (CTR)! 

Best of luck, 

Allie