AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Using negative keywords with broad match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have two campaigns setup up, one for exact match and one for broad and phrase. I've created a negative keyword list for all the KWs in the exact match campaign and have applied it against the broad match campaign.

After running a keyword diagnosis report, google is saying my ads in the broad campaign aren't showing.

Here's an example:

Exact Match Campaign - Keyword = Red Socks
Broad Match Campaign - Keyword = +Red +Socks  , -[Red Socks]

For the broad match, I still want it to show for KWs:
Blue Red Socks
Red Socks Online

Will the above work? Or have I set it up incorreclty?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using negative keywords with broad match

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian,

if you added [red socks] in negative, it will only block red shoes. Ads will show up for other keywords like Blue Red Socks, Red Socks Online etc

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yeah that's what I thought.

So I should ignore the keyword diagnostic report when it says the ads aren't showing in the broad match campaign? They'll show for every other term except for my exact match negative right?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Adrian,

Your approach looks sound enough. Just keep track of the Broad matchtype campaign and make sure that it is receiving impressions and clicks, basically check for daily numbers.

If the Broad campaign is not recording numbers then you may have a problem.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian,

You are absolutely right, this will only stop serving ads for the keywords that you have added as exact match negative.

Regards,
Rupesh

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian.

Yes. To make sure what you can do is Go to ad preview tool and check these keywords. Ad preview tool even show from which campaign and adgroup ad is showing.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’