AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Using muliple ads within a group to improve keyword Ad Relevance

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an Ad Group that contains about 15 closely related keywords. I had originally been using only one Search Ad for this group, and the keywords that were directly in the ad obviously produced a higher Quality Score, particularly the "Ad Relevance" metric. But since you can only squeeze a few keywords into an ad, the other keywords were receiving below average AD Relevance scores even though they are thematically tied together.

So I created 3 additional ads WITHIN that group specifically targeting those poorly scored keywords in hopes that this will improve their Ad Relevance and overall QS.

My Question:

Does Google factor in ALL the ads within a group when calculating Ad Relevance scores for keywords? Or will I have to create separate Ad Groups for these poorly performing keywords to achieve that goal?

Thank for reading!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This is a good question.  And, I bet there might be a bit of debate here, so I'll give my own personal opinion.  So... "ad relevance" does not technically mean "have your keyword in the ad".  Ad relevance is more related to the expected CTR of the ad.  However, obviously, if a user sees their keyword in the ad, it may resonate with them more and drive a higher CTR.

Here's a good article on what QS is and isn't - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6167132

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Mike V;

This is a good question.

Google does not disclose how ad relevance is measured. However, Google does say that "spreading" or including keywords within the ad text (or landing page text) does not necessarily signals relevance. I echo @Shanee_Kirk. Ad relevance is more "how likely the content of the ad continues or answers the user's search query" and hence (the ad) is likely to be clicked.

And one more point: the predominant compound of QS is expected CTR. I recommend to focus on that. I personally rarely look at the ad relevance metric.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Mike,

Make multiple ad groups, and put the keywords in the ads. It won't take much effort and the worst that can happen is that performance stays the same. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to thank all who replied. There was some insightful information about the internal mechanics of AdWords.

As a follow up, it does appear that creating those additional ads within the Ad Group has had a somewhat positive effect on quality scores for keywords used in those ads. I cannot claim a direct correlation between the two, as I do not know the precise metrics used for Ad Relevance, but I can say that some (not all) of those Ad relevance scores have moved from below average to average and overall quality scores have moved up as well.

Of course, creating separate Ad Groups for these keywords and implementing the additional Ads within those groups would most likely yield similar results (or better)...but this indicates that utilizing Ad rotation within a group using multiple Ads is another strategy worth trying.

I will continue experimenting and update with any significant results. Thanks again for the discussion!