AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Using domains as keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 

I have a new client. They had a AdWords campaing running targeting their competitor's clients. The weird thing for me is, they were using their competitor domain url as keyword. 

For example, if the competitor domain was : coca-colacompany.com  the campaing used this keywords: 

"coca-colacompany.com"

[coca-colacompany.com]

"www.coca-colacompany.com"

[www.coca-colacompany.com]

"coca cola company com"

"cocacolacompanycom"

etc...

Does it make any sense?  I would have used as keywords just "coke" or "coca cola" , but not the domain....

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alejandro A
September 2015

Re: Using domains as keywords

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Strangely, @MosheTLV lots of people do still type domains into the search box - I see them all the time in my brand Campaigns SQRs.

Alejandro, as @petebardo has said, the question is really whether they're effective, though as you're thinking, I'd suggest you'd probably capture these clicks just using the "name" part of the domain itself.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there ;

My view: this belongs to the early 2000s when the users used to type domains into the search box. Gone - long time ago... It seems that all the campaign needs some updating... Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Alejandro A,

My view: people still do type domains into the Google search box, especially those who have Google search as their home page.

Your answer lies in the data. What's the CTR like? Conversion Rate? Is it worth keeping those keywords?

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alejandro A
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Strangely, @MosheTLV lots of people do still type domains into the search box - I see them all the time in my brand Campaigns SQRs.

Alejandro, as @petebardo has said, the question is really whether they're effective, though as you're thinking, I'd suggest you'd probably capture these clicks just using the "name" part of the domain itself.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

My personal experience : I have very good results in terms of conversion rates for keywords representing competitor websites.

I get more domain search queries from the mobile segment , probably because the address bar in mobile browsers is less visible on a small screen than the default loading "Google search text box"

My addition to the topic : Sometimes people type "www domain" (do not use the dot in the keyword ) , or sometimes "domain extension" . I like to add both types of phrase keywords to separate traffic from people who only type the domain, IF the domain is the same as the name of the brand.

If the domain (website) is different than the brand name , it is enough to use a single phrase keyword "domain" to find out who typed the domain as a search term.

Your current keywords using dot and minus sign (or hyphen) are used by the system as if they were written without those 2 signs.

The system will ignore these 2 signs from your current keywords , see more information here in the answer 3 from Pankaj , there is also a link to the help file containing this information about symbols in keywords :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/can-I-use-symbol-in-keywords/m-p/41...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks all for your help, all the answers are similar, I just had to choose one as the correct answer

Thanks again.