5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Using brackets in headline can make effect

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Recently i have seen {keywords} in headline of a ad copy of search campaign. Can someone suggest how does it work? Is that the way to show the keywords dynamically in an ad copy?

I mean if there are 10 keywords in a ad group and just a single ad copy, so when some search for a keyword1 then the ad will be shown with keyword1 and when someone search for keyword2 then the ad will be show with keyword2? please advice. 

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Re: Using brackets in headline can make effect

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hey Gagan, how are things?

This is called Keyword Insertion. This page covers everything you need to know about it:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454041

One important thing: a lot of people try to "out run" manual efforts on Google Adwords trying to automatize everything. On my personal view on Keyword Insertion, this should be used very carefully and for specific cases, specially the ones when the advertiser don't have much time to track campaigns and everything, but also can't afford someone to do that job. It's a way to make a little bit easier, but if you have some time to spare on Adwords, I wouldn't go with Keyword insertion.

Keyword insertion relies a lot on account/campaign and ad group structure. You'll still need to create very good and small groups for specifics keywords in order for that to work properly, specially thinking about Keyword Match Type and Negative keywords.

Keyword insertion will insert the user query on your ad when there's space, so you wouldn't want a keyword like "car accident" on your ad when you're advertising for keywords like "new car".

That's my view on things.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Gagan,

Yes, you are right.
The most relevant keyword to the user query will be shown dynamically in the headline.
But if the headline exceeds the limit i.e. 25 then the default keyword will be shown.
for your reference:

http://www.wordstream.com/dynamic-keyword-insertion

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hey Gagan, how are things?

This is called Keyword Insertion. This page covers everything you need to know about it:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454041

One important thing: a lot of people try to "out run" manual efforts on Google Adwords trying to automatize everything. On my personal view on Keyword Insertion, this should be used very carefully and for specific cases, specially the ones when the advertiser don't have much time to track campaigns and everything, but also can't afford someone to do that job. It's a way to make a little bit easier, but if you have some time to spare on Adwords, I wouldn't go with Keyword insertion.

Keyword insertion relies a lot on account/campaign and ad group structure. You'll still need to create very good and small groups for specifics keywords in order for that to work properly, specially thinking about Keyword Match Type and Negative keywords.

Keyword insertion will insert the user query on your ad when there's space, so you wouldn't want a keyword like "car accident" on your ad when you're advertising for keywords like "new car".

That's my view on things.

Hope this helps.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Gagan,

Looks like Leandro is wrong about at least one thing here. DKI (Dynamic Keyword Insertion) inserts the keyword on which you bid that triggered the impression, not the search query itself. DKI can be used on any line of the ad, but insertion is not allowed if that insertion causes that line to exceed the limits, 25 for the headline, 35 for the copy, or if that insertion would be grammatically incorrect.

DKI works best, most often, with exact match keywords in an AdGroup designed specifically for DKI. So, do not include in those ad groups keywords that would be rejected because of exceeding the limits for line length. Only include keywords that would appear to be grammatically correct in the group. Keywords that would not appear to be grammatically correct will not be substituted either, the default text would show instead.

DKI is hard! It's normally recommend only for experienced and advanced users. While it is viewed as a time-saving feature in setting up your ads, it really isn't that way. To do it right takes time and a lot of thought and insight.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Thanks for the correction Smiley Very Happy It's been a while since I've used DKI and on the past, it was the user query that would be inserted, not the ad group keyword.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hey leandrofm,

No, it was never the user query inserted, although a lot of people still think that's what it does.

Pete

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hi Leandro,

Agreed with Pete. It is not the user query but the most relevant keyword(to the user query) within the adgroup is shown.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks a lot to Archit, leandrofm, and Petebardo for for explaining the topic. Just one more doubt please clear. What is the syntax for DKI. i mean should i use directly {keyword1} in headline rather than adding common text like Headline: Buy {keyword1}

And should i have to use exact match keywords as Pete said? What if i have broad match keywords or Broad match modifier keywords in my ad group. Can i use DKI for ad copies. Please advice

Thanks
Gagan

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

Hi Gagan,

What is the syntax for DKI. i mean should i use directly {keyword1} in headline rather than adding common text like Headline: Buy {keyword1}

There is not issue whether you use just {Keyword} or also include "Buy" . If you will use Buy or any word before or after the DKI text, it will be displayed every time with every keyword.

Reference: 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454041?hl=en

But keep in mind that you don't select very long tail keywords as after including Buy, if headline exceeds 25 characters and description lines and display url exceeds 35 characters then DKI will not perform and default keyword of DKI will only be shown.(already mentioned by Pete)

Also Keep in Mind to use Title case, sentence case and lower case DKI.
Example:
For sentence capitalization, use Keyword. For example, "Dark chocolate."
For title capitalization, use KeyWord. For example, "Dark Chocolate."
For all caps and then title capitalization, use KEYWord. For example, "USA Chocolate."
For title capitalization and then all caps, use KeyWORD. For example, "Chocolate Made In USA"

You can use DKI in headline, description lines as well as display url.
Be aware of misspelled words in the ads.

You can use different match types but avoid Broad as Broad match allows your ad to show for searches on similar phrases and relevant variations, including synonyms, singular and plural forms, possible misspellings, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), related searches, and other relevant variations.

So a combination of DKI and Broad match type may bring a lot of irrelevant traffic.

Regards

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Gagan,

It is usually best to create a DKI AdGroup with only exact match, and be sure all keywords in the group would not exceed line length limits and would produce grammatically correct ads.

Syntax is (keyword:default}. Replace "default" with the text you want to show if DKI is not used. Archit has explained capitalization very well. I would add that {keyword:default} will preserve the case of your keyword if it does not violate capitalization rules, so that gives you one more way to control what the user sees.

Best of Luck!

Pete