AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Using all match types for a keyword, but want my exact match type to be triggered for that keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello.

I am using a keyword "Car Insurance" in all 4 match types: Exact, Broad, Phrase & Broad Match Modifier. If someone is looking for this keyword "Car Insurance", which match type will be triggered? And if I want my ad to be shown for exact match only, what is the necessary steps?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
April 2017

Using all match types for a keyword, but want my exact match type to be triggered for that keyword

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Sagar,

All other things being equal, Google will choose the match type that has the closest fit. So if the search query is "car insurance" then the keyword [car insurance] should be triggered.

if you only want to show for the exact match, pause the other keywords.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
April 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Sagar,

All other things being equal, Google will choose the match type that has the closest fit. So if the search query is "car insurance" then the keyword [car insurance] should be triggered.

if you only want to show for the exact match, pause the other keywords.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello @Sagar M

If you use the same keywords in all four match types, then Google will choose the closest fit keyword. But if the user search, the same keyword - then obviously the best fit keyword would be Exact Match.

For more information on Keyword Matching

Hope this will help.

Thanks,

Aslam

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi @Sagar M,

In addition to @RobSkelton advice, if you want this query to be triggered by the exact match type keyword but at the same time you want maximum exposure for your ads on the same keyword then the best approach is bidding highest on the exact match types and lowest on the broad.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Sagar M,

FWIW, I agree with Archit on this. Google says they will pick the most restrictive match type if a keyword is in multiple match types. They assume when they say that that all keywords are in the same ad group and the bid for exact is higher than for phrase, which is higher than for broad match.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you everyone. Appreciate your help. Just one more doubt.

I have 4 campaigns with 4 different match types for a single keyword "Car Insurance".

Bids for Phrase, Broad & BMM is 100 INR, while the bid for Exact is 50 INR. User is looking for the same keyword "Car Insurance", what is the possibility that my ad will be shown for Exact match.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Hi,

The system will trigger the ads for the keyword with highest ad rank.

So, if the QS and bid combination of any keyword match type is greater than the other match types then it will enter the ad auction.

As you are bidding 50% less on the exact match type, most probably the system will consider other match types. 

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’