4.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Using Attributes and Qualifiers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a question about the use of qualifiers within keyword phrases and how to best approach these with regard to structuring ad groups within a campaign.

I have a campaign within the travel sector. The campaign is about a particular destination.

First off, I can structure ad groups around themes like vacations, cruises, resorts, excursions or tours.

Think: Italian Vacations, Italian Cruises, Italian Resorts, etc.

However I also could structure these as well based on one or more attributes such as all inclusive, luxury, romantic, honeymoon or based on some qualifier like best, top-rated, award winning, 5 star and the like. 

Within each theme I already have between 20-50 keywords

Question 1: Does it make sense to have ad groups for:

Italian Vacations (with 20-50 keywords as appropriate)

All Inclusive Italian Vacations

Romantic All Inclusive Italian Vacations

Top Rated Romantic All Inclusive Italian Vacations

And then use the more specific keywords as negatives in the less specific ad groups?

Its likely that the search volume on these long-tail searches diminish with increased number of attributes and qualifiers. 

Question 2: Should I be wary of these low volume long-tail phrases? I have very strong quality scores and CTRs on those long-tail searches that do have volume but which phrases get triggered day to day, week to week is somewhat random. I can also see from a few competitive tools that some of my competitors are bidding on these long-tail phrases and appear to be doing pretty well. I realize that I could trigger these with a broad match but then my ad copy and landing page can't be as specific.

Thoughts?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using Attributes and Qualifiers

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Windstar,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

To me it depends on how things are organized on the website and what are the USPs or most-profitable packages. I would prefer ad groups like Italian vacations, Italian cruises, Italian resorts, honeymoon/romantic vacations etc. It will make ad groups tightly themed. I would also make these ads land on separate webpages/landing pages optimized dedicated for these groups. 

Next, I would prefer broad match modifiers with proper adgroup level negatives in place.  Hence, if I go with around 10 broadly modified keywords and 3 to 4 ad copies per ad group, it will cover up everything I need to target and will still make groups clean and easy to manage. 

My two cents.

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Re: Using Attributes and Qualifiers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Good advice from Ratan-Jha,

Sounds like a difficult task to tackle just based on the information you gave, there are a lot of ways to attack it; but on the plus side there are multiple ways you could do it correctly. There is no "correct answer" in adwords, generally speaking, but you should absolutely use broad match modifiers and negative keywords as suggested. I would also consider that you'll probably want to use location targeting; when searching for Italian Vacations you'll want to exclude Italy (probably) as your targets will be people looking to travel there.