Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Users Location

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

In my adwords campaign I have used location targeting as I am targeting a small area. By small area I mean with 20 miles of me!! 

But when I check Dimensions/User Location I find that alot of my visitors come from all over the world...why would this be?

Could it be because I have used Broad Match Search Type, and therefore my ads will some times, either by accident, or because they are single word 'Broad Match Keywords'? I am thinking that maybe  a single word Broad Match, isn't the best idea, but also can lead to my advert showing in the wrong country/area of my country? 

The Geo Location report, puts everyone within my location targeting

Anyway, maybe I am just trying to guess...when the answer could be something more prosaic? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rob W
September 2015

Re: Users Location

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Rob,

Completely agree with Alex here. Under the advanced targeting settings you will find that 'People in, Searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location.' is a default setting when you take a campaign live.

This particular setting tells Google that you wish to show your ads to Users who either reside in your targeted or are viewing/ researching your targeted locations or have shown interest in your targeted location and are looking for services similar to the ones you offer on your website. Because of this, the possibility of any person (outside your targeted location) who has shown interest in your targeted themes is very high.

To avoid this scenario and to keep your overall targeting more niche, AdWords gives you the option of selecting the 'People in my targeted location' option. This basically tells AdWords that you only wish to show your ads to the set of relevant users within your targeted locations thereby also limiting your visibility to your targeted location only.

You can read more about this and how and where to make these changes here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rob,

Both those reports are true, and Shimul has given you the reason why.

The geographic report is reporting on location of interest. So this report will show you the location that all users were interested in (irrespective of where they physically are).

The user location report gives you a report of where the users are physically located.

If you wish for these to reports to correlate then you need to change your location settings to: "people in my targeted location" and not "people in or searching for/about...".

One report shows intent, the other shows physical location. You're location settings allow for both.

Make sense now?

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hello Rob W,

my humble guess would be in wrong Targeting method. I suppose you let there the recommended settings: People in, Searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location.

If you want to target strictly only people in area defined by you, then you should go for setting: People in my targeted location.

Alex
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Rob,

Completely agree with Alex here. Under the advanced targeting settings you will find that 'People in, Searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location.' is a default setting when you take a campaign live.

This particular setting tells Google that you wish to show your ads to Users who either reside in your targeted or are viewing/ researching your targeted locations or have shown interest in your targeted location and are looking for services similar to the ones you offer on your website. Because of this, the possibility of any person (outside your targeted location) who has shown interest in your targeted themes is very high.

To avoid this scenario and to keep your overall targeting more niche, AdWords gives you the option of selecting the 'People in my targeted location' option. This basically tells AdWords that you only wish to show your ads to the set of relevant users within your targeted locations thereby also limiting your visibility to your targeted location only.

You can read more about this and how and where to make these changes here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If you set the location properly and still you are getting traffic from other location too then check your location settings from "Advance Location Targeting" option. To know more about advance location settings check this link - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Many thanks for that, so just to confirm, as I understand what you are saying and I will make adjustments to reflect this, so my campaigns are only 'People in my targeted location' but the two reports from Dimensions

1) User Location and
2) Geo Location

Are conflicting. As User location states that searchers are coming from all over the world, which is not practical for my niche/services.

But the Geo report states that all searchers are within my location area?

So I am bit confused how the two reports vary so much?

As one states searchers from all over the world and the other from within my advertising location!!

Any ideas?

The only other concern I have is that narrowing to 'People in my targeted location' will narrow things too much...having said that there is no way I can get my timber to Egypt or China or even France!! Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Location reports in AdWords can show the places where your customers are physically located, or the locations they showed interest in. There are 2 types of location report -

Physical location: Location where a user is physically located ( This will generate traffic only from your targeted location)

Location of interest: Location that someone was searching for or that was related to the content that she was viewing (This will generate traffic from all over the world, who set their location preference as your targeted)

You can stop this by setting up Advance Location Option.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the response, but I don't think you have answered the question.

Within 'Dimensions' i have download data from

1) Geographic
2) User Location

Now viewing the data in

1) Geographic - all searchers are within my selected/preferred location - Brilliant I have set up my location correctly.

2) User Location - All searchers are all over the world....**bleep** I have set up my location incorrectly.

But which of the two reports do I believe? As they are contradictory information, one stating a lot of searchers are even outside the country I am based in, let alone outside my county!!

And the other is stating - all searchers are within my Country and almost all within my County

Which leaves to me to think, which report should I use to adjust (if needed) the preferred location for my campaigns?

Many thanks in advance.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rob,

Both those reports are true, and Shimul has given you the reason why.

The geographic report is reporting on location of interest. So this report will show you the location that all users were interested in (irrespective of where they physically are).

The user location report gives you a report of where the users are physically located.

If you wish for these to reports to correlate then you need to change your location settings to: "people in my targeted location" and not "people in or searching for/about...".

One report shows intent, the other shows physical location. You're location settings allow for both.

Make sense now?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Many thanks for the clarification, I just didn't quite understand the answer previously given. You have cleared this up.

I will amend my campaigns to 'People in my targeted location'

Seriously no point me advertising outside of this location.

Many thanks to everyone.