Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

User restrictions with connected Adwords and Analytics accounts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have an affiliate partner who is going to do an Adwords campaign.  Is it possible for me to sync my Google Analytics account with his Adwords account without giving him access to Analytics?  I want him to be able to get conversion data directly in Adwords without having to make him a user in Analytics.  I've tried to find the answer, but it eludes me.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense. 

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: User restrictions with connected Adwords and Analytics accounts

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi mhofmaier,

Welcome!

In order to link AdWords to Analytics, administrative access is needed on both platforms and once linked, the Analytics data is available in the AdWords interface.  Not really sure how you can make this work.

I don't quite understand this setup you're explaining but that is not all that important.  Just please make sure you're aware and abiding by all AdWords Policies.  

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: User restrictions with connected Adwords and Analytics accounts

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello mhofmaier.

As Tom already mentioned, you need an admin user on both platforms. So if you give him access to your Analytics account he'll see anything, and I understand why you would not like that.

What you could do though (strictly theory, and a developer is needed in order to achieve this), is the following:

- set up your website to detect which affiliate is sending you traffic

- have your affiliates provide you with their analytics IDs

- trigger, along with your own Analytics script, the affiliate Analytics script as well

- maintain a cookie which will tie a visitor to the affiliate who sent him, and fire the affiliate script anytime the visitor comes back

However, if you go down this road, you'll have deduplication issues, when someone visits your website via several affiliates in a certain period of time.

So I guess it's possible, and it's even possible to give each affiliate only his data, but only if you work at website level.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.