Guide Me
star_border

Usage of similar keywords in the same adgroup

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 
I am setting up a campaign to target my ads to a specific location - "Dubai".

I have created an ad group - "Translation Dubai". The goal of this adgroup is to target translation services searched with the word Dubai in a query. I have used below keywords in this adgroup. (negative keywords aren't included in the post but i have my list) 

/+translation +services +in +dubai
/+translation +company +in +dubai
/+translation +companies+in +dubai
/+translation +in +dubai
/+translation +services +dubai
/+dubai +translation +services
/+translation +company +dubai
/+translation +agency +in +dubai
/+translation +dubai
/+translation +in +uae
/+translation +services +in +uae

Now my question is would using keywords +translation +dubai and  +translation +services +Dubai in the same adgroup compete with each other when user searches for a query Best translation services in Dubai ?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Usage of similar keywords in the same adgroup

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @R Praveen R,

R Praveen R wrote:

Now my question is would using keywords +translation +dubai and  +translation +services +Dubai in the same adgroup compete with each other when user searches for a query Best translation services in Dubai ?

The answer is - yes. As both these keywords in question are eligible enough to trigger ads for that search query, I can't say there won't be any inner competition between them. But practically, if both your keywords have the same QS and bids, your second keyword i.e. +translation +services +dubai will enter the auction, and would trigger you ad. Why? 

The better a keyword matches the search term, the higher becomes its chance of entering the auction. 

Thanks

Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In that case is it recommended to use both these keywords in same ad set or should simply use +translation +dubai instead of

+translation +services +in +dubai
+translation +company +in +dubai
+translation +companies+in +dubai
+translation +in +dubai
+translation +services +dubai
+dubai +translation +services
+translation +company +dubai
+translation +agency +in +dubai

Because as I understand the common words in the above keywords is Translation & Dubai. Wouldn't it make sense if I simply use +translation +Dubai instead of all these keywords.

In a situation where I am trying to restrict my ad visibility by not using a common word like +translation +dubai and be more specific with above listed keyword, isn't it recommendable to not use +translate +dubai in the same adgroup?

What is the most recommendable way of placing keywords in this adset to trigger ad when any of above terms are searched .

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @R Praveen R

Technically, +translate +dubai is enough to cover all the keywords you listed. But, I won't advise doing that. As already said in the previous post, you should focus on creating better match to search terms. And for this reason, you need more keywords than just one in modified broad match. 

If I am asked, I will build a list of keywords with a combination of both phrase and exact match, and would bid a bit higher of exact match for obvious reasons. I will also include one or two modified broad match keywords to make sure campaign reaches to more and more relevant search terms. 

But I won't advise keeping all keywords in modified broad match. Doing so will increase inner fighting considerably.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Ratan-Jha.

Is this a better combination?

Campaign A (targeted to Dubai people):

"translation services in dubai"
"translation company in dubai"
"translation companies in dubai"
"translation in dubai"
+translation +dubai
"dubai translation services"
"translation in uae"
"translation office dubai"
"translation agency in dubai"
"translation service dubai"
"translation company dubai"

Campaign B: (General searches)
Adgroup level negative keyword is being set to: -dubai (and all below keywords with exact match are set as negative in campaign A)
+document +translation
"translation services"
+medical +translation
+professional +translation
"rofessional english to arabic translation"
"professional Arabic to English translation"
+website +translation
+translation +company
+language +translation +agencies
"legal translation"
"legal translation services"
+legal +translation
+patent +translation
+translation +agency
+translation +company
+translation +audit
+translation +legal
+translation +technical
+translation +office

Campaign C: Our brand related keywords and ads

Campaign D: Our competitors company names 

Do you think this structure is fine or would suggest any changes ?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi R Praveen R,

I'm going to give you a different answer on the "competition" between similar keywords. It's not competition in the sense that it increases your cost. These keywords enter into a "mini-auction" within your account. The keyword with the highest AdRank is selected for the general auction with other advertisers. At that time, the auction process starts all over again.

So do these 2 BMM keywords compete for the given query? Not really. Google will always try to select the most relevant keyword to enter the general auction. That's determined by AdRank. The process when 2 keywords are eligible for the query isn't really much different.

Ok, let's look at the ad group structure. First, if you're not using geo-targeting, you probably should be. If you use geo-targeting, you really don't need "in Dubai" as part of your keywords. The AdWords system will be able to figure that out. That removes a level of complexity. Your AdGroups should probably be organized by terms like Services, Agencies, Companies. That way when someone looks for "services", your ad for services shows up with services in bold when in the ad copy. Same for a search for "agencies" or "companies".

Those are my thoughts. Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Pete for bringing up geo targeting.. thats helpful.

Could you explain below a little more detailed:

Your AdGroups should probably be organized by terms like Services, Agencies, Companies. That way when someone looks for "services", your ad for services shows up with services in bold when in the ad copy. Same for a search for "agencies" or "companies".

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi R Praveen R,

The idea is to get your ad copy as close to the search query as possible. If the user is looking for "translation services", show an ad that includes those words. If the user looks for "website translation", show an ad for "website translation". A user looking for "Arabic to English translation" should see an ad for that.

I would also include "Dubai" in the ad copy, but not in the keywords. DKI can be useful for this, but it's really not the easiest thing to set up.

In Campaign B, it's probably better to make several AdGroups, each with tightly themed keywords. I'm not sure of the reasoning for excluding queries that include Dubai. I imagine that's an attempt to separate physical location and search intent. It might not work the way you expect.

Hope this helps,

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Pete. The idea for excluding keywords from campaign B was to ensure keywords used from "Dubai" campaign are not competing with the keywords used in campaign B and priority is given to Dubai campaign when word Dubai is added