Guide Me
star_border

Uploading HTML5 banners in AdWords using .zip file

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I noticed a change in the Image Ad policy stating that HTML5 banners created with the Google Web Designer software can now be imported in adwords.

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176108?hl=en

I am curious if this feature is really working , has anyone tested it ?

Can we use almost any banner size just like uploaded static images called "Non-animated image ads" ?

For example even if the policy file lists just a couple of image sizes ( 14 variants) , the adwords editor documentation lists them all :

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/57755?hl=en

It has some limitations as explained in that help file :

Important

• Only HTML5 ads created with Google Web Designer are supported.
  • Assets in the ZIP file can be any combination of the supported file types. See the “File types” section in this table.
  • All images used in HTML5 ads must be local images, not referenced images, and should be part of the assets that comprise the ZIP file.
  • Only tap components are supported. Videos and maps are not supported.
  • Only Google web fonts are supported. Other web fonts are not supported.
  • For environment target actions, timer and multiple exits are not supported.
  • Expandable ads are not supported.
  • Local storage methods cannot be used in HTML5 ads.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Uploading HTML5 banners in AdWords using .zip file

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I have tried it and it didn't work - my Google rep told me that it was "in beta" for some bigger advertisers.... watch this space.....

View solution in original post

Warning: AdWords interface instructions or screenshots in this thread may be out of date as we move to the new AdWords experience.

LEARN MORE

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I have tried it and it didn't work - my Google rep told me that it was "in beta" for some bigger advertisers.... watch this space.....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi all,

Is this still in beta? or can I already upload HTML5 banners trough AdWords editor?

Many thanks
Leon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are also facing the same issue! While uploading csv file into Adword Editor, it showing no error, but when we post these changes on live, it showing error "You ad has no image".

Please help us.

Adrian B wrote:

Hello,

I noticed a change in the Image Ad policy stating that HTML5 banners created with the Google Web Designer software can now be imported in adwords.

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176108?hl=en

I am curious if this feature is really working , has anyone tested it ?

Can we use almost any banner size just like uploaded static images called "Non-animated image ads" ?

For example even if the policy file lists just a couple of image sizes ( 14 variants) , the adwords editor documentation lists them all :

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/57755?hl=en

It has some limitations as explained in that help file :

Important

• Only HTML5 ads created with Google Web Designer are supported.
  • Assets in the ZIP file can be any combination of the supported file types. See the “File types” section in this table.
  • All images used in HTML5 ads must be local images, not referenced images, and should be part of the assets that comprise the ZIP file.
  • Only tap components are supported. Videos and maps are not supported.
  • Only Google web fonts are supported. Other web fonts are not supported.
  • For environment target actions, timer and multiple exits are not supported.
  • Expandable ads are not supported.
  • Local storage methods cannot be used in HTML5 ads.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I just uploaded a HTML5 ad I created with Google Web Designer with no issues. When you create the ad you have to include the html file and all the assets in a zip for it to work. In GWD you do that by clicking publish locally which saves the ad as a .zip file. If you are creating the ad with a different program you may run into issues, but the .html and all the pictures/assets would have to be put in a .zip file in order to upload it to AdWords. In AdWords make sure you have a campaign set up to use image ads. I also set mine up to use the Google Display Network. Once you have your campaign set up you create or ad your advertisements. When you get to that section simply upload the .zip file you created for your ad. Viola, your html5 ad is now on AdWords! Hope this helps.

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a detailed question or comment.

Thank you.