AdWords
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Upload negative keywords from a csv file on Google AdWords ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to be able to upload a file of negative keywords in Google AdWords (web version, not AdWords Editor) in the same way we can do it for positive keywords: a column for ad group name, a column for the keyword. Do you know if that is possible ?

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eustache F
September 2015

Re: Upload negative keywords from a csv file on Google AdWords ?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I confirmed with Google AdWords > Help > Live Chat, that bulk upload of negative keywords is not supported.

However it's feasible in Google AdWords Editor.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Yes Eustache, Bulk upload of negatives is not possible with AdWords interface at the moment but is only available with the AdWords Editor. It is a very simple task to execute using the Editor.

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Eustache
Are you talking about the bulk uploads feature?

If so, yes, this is possible. You simply need to append a negative sign to the keywords and upload as normal.

-keyword 1
-keyword 2

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply but it does work for me: when on adwords.google.com I use Bulk upload and select a .csv file where I have negative keyword negkeyword (in campaign WSD and ad group api) like this:

"Keyword report (Nov 17, 2014-Nov 23, 2014)"
Keyword state Keyword Campaign Ad group Status Max. CPC Campaign type Campaign subtype Clicks Impressions CTR Avg. CPC Cost Avg. position Labels
enabled -negkeyword WSD api

It is added in the regular keyword list as -negkeyword (and not in the ad group negative keyword list below as I was expecting).
Any explanation ?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hmmm, are you trying to upload the search term report? It would appear that you are. If not, can you provide a sample of the doc that you're uploading?

Or are you using the template provided in the UI?

also, are you sure that each keyword has the minus sign in front of it and not just the column header?

Finally, what is your reasoning behind not using AWE?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It's not the search term report, it's the keyword report as downloaded from adwords.google.com. Then I just add a line like the following (csv format, - just in front of the keyword I want to be negative):

enabled,-plum,WSD,langage graph

And it gets added as a positive keyword containing the minus sign.

Honestly I think it's not supported on adwords.google.com (I have not found any documentation about that). I know it's supported on Google AdWords Editor, but I did not want to use it.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I confirmed with Google AdWords > Help > Live Chat, that bulk upload of negative keywords is not supported.

However it's feasible in Google AdWords Editor.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Yes Eustache, Bulk upload of negatives is not possible with AdWords interface at the moment but is only available with the AdWords Editor. It is a very simple task to execute using the Editor.

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The best way I found to do what you want to do is to click on +Negative Keywords - Select Campaign then Ad group then you will have the normal window where you type in your negative keywords. However instead of typing them in just open your list and copy the column of keywords and then simply paste them into the window. Click Save and that's it.