Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Upgrade Sitelinks - Text length regression

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

I tried upgrading my sitelinks but I noticed some of my sitelinks have an error message 

"Link text is too long. Please use link text that is 25 characters or less"

Apparently legacy sitelinks have max 35 characters in link text while enhanced have max 25 characters in link text.

What will happen to sitelinks I upgraded but failed this way?

Will they be displayed?

Will they be disapproved?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Upgrade Sitelinks - Text length regression

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there:

>>" Upgraded sitelink extensions have no more than 25 characters in most languages, ...

>>"Make sure your sitelinks are all approved. Check the Status column next to each sitelink to make sure it says "Approved." Edit or delete any sitelinks that say "Disapproved."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375416?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
Will historical sitelinks performance be retained when sitelinks are upgraded?

Omri.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Omri C

This is a nice question:

As for new sitelinks:

"You can edit each extension without resetting its performance statistics. By comparison, when you edit an extension in non-enhanced campaigns, we create a new extension and delete the edited one."

The process of upgrading current sitelinks is detailed in the following link;

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375416?hl=en

I says:

• A non-upgraded sitelink will result in several upgraded sitelinks, one per individual link.
  • Then, these new sitelinks will go through our approval process. Additionally, we'll delete your non-upgraded sitelink.

Since  some conditions are applied  during the upgrading process (check for a full list in the link provided) -  my conclusion is that once a sitelink is upgraded the data is reset (similar to editing an ad).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Moshe for the detailed reply.
I've reached the same conclusion but just wanted to verify Smiley Happy
Thanks and good weekend!

Omri.