AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Update multiple text ads in adwords editor

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hello,

I have a question about making multiple changes in ads tab in Adwords Editor, specifically add/update multiple text ads.

No really sure how to make this work. How can I update like this multiple ads. How can I set what ads I want to update.

For example: Let's say there's adgroup campaign animals and there are ad groups elephants, dogs, cats, mice. Let's also say there are 5 different ads  in each ad group. I really like destination URL and dispaly URL, but I don't like the Headline, Description line 1 and 2. So how can I make a multiple update of text ads so the destination URL and display URL would stay the same and only text would change?

Or le't say I have a similar problem only this time I want to update multiple display URLs and destination URLs and keep the text the same. What is the factor that recognize which Ad I want to update?

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tomáš Kraus
September 2015

Re: Update multiple text ads in adwords editor

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Alex,

When i am looking at making many changes at any one time, i use the "Replace Text" function.

Highlight the ads you want to make changes to and type in the text you want changing from, and enter the text you want to change it to. 

To highlight multiple ads press "Ctrl" and click the ads you want.

You will find the "replace text" ad at the bottom of the "edit Selected Text Ads" drop-down.

Hope this helps

Jt

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee
Update Multiple Ads uses headline, description 1 and description 2 as key fields. That is, a row of text in the input matches an existing ad when it has the same text in those three columns. Because of this, you cannot directly change any of those three fields via this tool.

What you can do instead is create ads with new text, and remove ads with old text, which has the same net result. One way is to enter two rows for each ad you want modified - one matching the existing ad and the word "Deleted" in Status column, and one with the new ad text. Copy/paste from Editor to your spreadsheet application, or use Export to CSV, to obtain a list of existing ads.

Or, if you want to replace all existing ads with new ones, just enter new ads. Then, when running the tool, check "'Replace the entire contents..." checkbox at the bottom. For details, see

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/56363

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Alex,

Did you try the Add Multiple Text Ads tool to replace existing text ads with new ones in the editor as explained in this reference: 

Let us know if this helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Alex,

When i am looking at making many changes at any one time, i use the "Replace Text" function.

Highlight the ads you want to make changes to and type in the text you want changing from, and enter the text you want to change it to. 

To highlight multiple ads press "Ctrl" and click the ads you want.

You will find the "replace text" ad at the bottom of the "edit Selected Text Ads" drop-down.

Hope this helps

Jt

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Thanks for swift answers,
pankaj1782
I'm not trying to replace whole ads, I just need to update some text in existing ones.

Jack T
Every ad is unique. Even If I tried replace text I would have to still replace text of ad at time.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Alex,

It sounds like you are going to have to do it manually I am afraid...?

JT

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Jack T
Well that's what I'm doing so farSmiley Happy What is function update multiple text ads good for then? Because like it's been said here, you can do changes throught replace fuction on the same ads.

My vision was it would work like this: I have old ads, that I want to replace for new ones and I would maybe add throught update function I could maybe add one ad, under it another ad etc. and it would replace ads first for first, second for second, but only the text I'd insert there. So If I'd put there only Headline it would only change headlines etc.

Or maybe something like this: Each ad would have different ID and I would update only some parts of ads and because of ID editor would knew in which ad I want to replace that text.

You know like this, simple.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Yea, I get what you are saying, it would make life easier thats for sure!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee
Update Multiple Ads uses headline, description 1 and description 2 as key fields. That is, a row of text in the input matches an existing ad when it has the same text in those three columns. Because of this, you cannot directly change any of those three fields via this tool.

What you can do instead is create ads with new text, and remove ads with old text, which has the same net result. One way is to enter two rows for each ad you want modified - one matching the existing ad and the word "Deleted" in Status column, and one with the new ad text. Copy/paste from Editor to your spreadsheet application, or use Export to CSV, to obtain a list of existing ads.

Or, if you want to replace all existing ads with new ones, just enter new ads. Then, when running the tool, check "'Replace the entire contents..." checkbox at the bottom. For details, see