5.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Unsuccessful adwords campiagn -so far

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I joined adwords appx 6 weeks ago and the click through statistics tell me that my camapign has been successul. HOWEVER, the campaign has not resulted in any enquiries to my website, let alone any sales. According to the stats, I have had 431 Click Throughs to my website in the 6 weeks. I find it difficult to believe this figure whenI have not received an enquiry.

I have spoken to adwords help, who were not that helpful. The did try to advise me how to increase my Click Through Rate, but I do not think that is the answer.

I sell holiday accommodation and my website is set up so as to either send an enquiry or book on line. Neither of these events have happened.

Any suggestions

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Unsuccessful adwords campiagn -so far

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello mussgrass,

Welcome to the community and it's good to see you are reaching out for help rather than dismissing AdWords altogether.

My first question to you is whether you are getting any conversions at all from alternative sources? It's dependant on how long your site has been running for but if you haven't had any enquiries over a significant period of time then I would suggest reviewing the layout and content of your site itself. There are some excellent tips on the AdWords Help Centre but you also need to take into consideration your own industry along with comparisons made against competitors.

If you are generating leads without AdWords however then I would recommend looking at how relevant your campaign is your audience. Many new advertisers will include a generic keyword on broad match for example with the intention of getting many visitors believing a % will generate into a conversion. The problem with this approach is that those generic visitors might not even be looking for your service / product and will therefore result in a waste of budget. I can't make comments without being able to see your account but in your situation it would be best to select very specific keywords to your service and include them on exact match to ensure that no irrelevant traffic is generated. The AdWords Help Centre again has a great article on how to build a good keyword list

If you can provide a little more information then the community will be able to give you more specific advice.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello mussgrass,

Did you actually check the Search terms which users originally entered to reach your website?

Are they really worth enough to fill the enquiry form or any bookings online available on your website?

6 Weeks data would be enough to understand at least what kind of users are actually visiting your website.

So, my first suggestion to you would be to look at actual search terms along with delivered match type. As Scott said above, look for how many were broad match types delivered and how many were others?

There is a possibility that you will have review your keywords list again and select the appropriate match type keywords.

If you have Adwords linked with Google Analytics, did you check the Bounce Rate, Avg. Time on site and other very important statistics for your Adwords campaigns? It will give you real insight whether people are finding your website informational or not.

You can look at the landing page Bounces and if Bounce Rate is high, you might have to consider making changes to your landing pages.

Lastly you said that you are using regional keywords in your account, did you actually check the Geographical report as to where from people are coming in? I don't know what location settings you have, but based on Geographical report , you will get an idea that if users are reaching you from the regions from where you actually want or there is need to make location setting changes also.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you for everyone's assistance so far and in reply to pankaj1782, I offer the follwing information.

Being new to Adwords,everyday I look at the statistics and try to interpret them, including search terms and geographical. I can say thet I am very happy with the geographical reports. I am getting responses from the areas that I am targeting, and to be precise, that is Australia and New zealand.

I have looked at the last weeks statistics and my click throughs comprise the following. Total 57 - Broad 34, Phrase 9 Exact 14. Now I am not totally sure how I interpret that, but I can say that I have 55 keywords recorded and the above figures represent hits on 14 of those keywords.

I do not have the benefit of Analytics yet, but hopefully as soon as I have the new website in place the CMS will allow me to place the appropriate details on the website to catch the statistics.

Thank you in anticipation of your assistance

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello mussgrass,

Welcome to the community and it's good to see you are reaching out for help rather than dismissing AdWords altogether.

My first question to you is whether you are getting any conversions at all from alternative sources? It's dependant on how long your site has been running for but if you haven't had any enquiries over a significant period of time then I would suggest reviewing the layout and content of your site itself. There are some excellent tips on the AdWords Help Centre but you also need to take into consideration your own industry along with comparisons made against competitors.

If you are generating leads without AdWords however then I would recommend looking at how relevant your campaign is your audience. Many new advertisers will include a generic keyword on broad match for example with the intention of getting many visitors believing a % will generate into a conversion. The problem with this approach is that those generic visitors might not even be looking for your service / product and will therefore result in a waste of budget. I can't make comments without being able to see your account but in your situation it would be best to select very specific keywords to your service and include them on exact match to ensure that no irrelevant traffic is generated. The AdWords Help Centre again has a great article on how to build a good keyword list

If you can provide a little more information then the community will be able to give you more specific advice.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you ScottyD

I can see where you are coming from and I think you are basically saying what Adwords Support told me.I won't identify my location, but the majority of my keywords include the location name and then words like "accommodation" "holidays" "deals"'Packages" an the list goes on. Sure, I have had click throughs for people looking at "Maps" "weather" etc and I have now input those words as negatives.

My website is old and in need of an update and this is happening as I write. In fact I thought my new site ay have been up an running before the weekend, but that did not happen. However old, the current site is still functoinal and active and is dedicated to providing information on what we have to offer in the way of accommodation. There is an enquiry option and a booking option. But as I stated, not one enquiry sourced through Adwords

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni
Of those 431 clicks, how many were from Google search vs search partners vs display network?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Richard

330 v 101(Dispaly network)

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello mussgrass,

Did you actually check the Search terms which users originally entered to reach your website?

Are they really worth enough to fill the enquiry form or any bookings online available on your website?

6 Weeks data would be enough to understand at least what kind of users are actually visiting your website.

So, my first suggestion to you would be to look at actual search terms along with delivered match type. As Scott said above, look for how many were broad match types delivered and how many were others?

There is a possibility that you will have review your keywords list again and select the appropriate match type keywords.

If you have Adwords linked with Google Analytics, did you check the Bounce Rate, Avg. Time on site and other very important statistics for your Adwords campaigns? It will give you real insight whether people are finding your website informational or not.

You can look at the landing page Bounces and if Bounce Rate is high, you might have to consider making changes to your landing pages.

Lastly you said that you are using regional keywords in your account, did you actually check the Geographical report as to where from people are coming in? I don't know what location settings you have, but based on Geographical report , you will get an idea that if users are reaching you from the regions from where you actually want or there is need to make location setting changes also.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I'm with above great replies. Kindly follow them for better results...
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you for everyone's assistance so far and in reply to pankaj1782, I offer the follwing information.

Being new to Adwords,everyday I look at the statistics and try to interpret them, including search terms and geographical. I can say thet I am very happy with the geographical reports. I am getting responses from the areas that I am targeting, and to be precise, that is Australia and New zealand.

I have looked at the last weeks statistics and my click throughs comprise the following. Total 57 - Broad 34, Phrase 9 Exact 14. Now I am not totally sure how I interpret that, but I can say that I have 55 keywords recorded and the above figures represent hits on 14 of those keywords.

I do not have the benefit of Analytics yet, but hopefully as soon as I have the new website in place the CMS will allow me to place the appropriate details on the website to catch the statistics.

Thank you in anticipation of your assistance

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi mussgrass,

I would say you are experiencing the classical problem everyone faces when they start off AdWords, so please don't be disappointed by the results.  AdWords is very good to people who experiment, learn and then implement the lessons.

Now going to your scenario, I would say there are the following components of a successful AdWords campaign:

1. Targeted keywords
  2. Specific Ads
  3. Targeted locations
  4. Appropriate negative keywords
  5. Competitive bids
  6. Conversion Tracking
  7. Specific landing page

All these are also inter-related and would affect each other.  So, we have to analyze everything before deciding on where to focus our energy.  

Outside the above list, you have some external factors too which we can’t control:

1. User’s belief on “Brand”
  2. Competitor’s prices
  3. Competitor’s landing page
  4. Competitor’s bids
  5. Competitor’s budget
  6. Competitor’s account history & QS

Also from your postings I understand that you are in a competitive market of “Holiday Packages”.  You might need to take a look what others are doing and see their prices, landing page, ads etc,.

In your market the user would be looking for a better deal and whoever offers they might just sign-up, so it might be worthwhile in doing some competitive study.  Also you might create a sign-up page where you ask people to sign-up for future offers, this might atleast provide you with contact details and also you can check whether people are just abandoning you due to prices.

Google Analytics would be the tool to get further info on how people interact with your site.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Nimesh.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you Nimesh1984 and others.

I "think" I understand the theory behind Adwords and how it is supposed to work.

I believe I have some of the right keywords to get clicks and this has been proven. I have negatived some words so as to filter unwanted exposure and I have now looked at competitors sites by accessing from ads appearing on Google using similar keywords. Competitor sites appear no more attractive than my site, but as mentioned, I do have a brand new site going to air very soon and I am hopeful for better outcomes as a result of this.

What I think must be explained to correspondents is that my holiday accommodation is situated in a relatively isolated destination with tourists only arriving by air. We have approximatey 25000 tourists per year and I have about 20 competitor tourist accommodation providers offering a similar product, and of these, I'm guessing that only 3 or 4 subscribe to Adwords.

Getting back to my original query, I have had 431 clicks with not one of those resulting in an enquiry through my website. The 25000 tourists per year averages abot 500 per week. Surely one of those clicks in that 6 week period should have resulted in at least an enquiry.

To be honest, I am at odds as to whether those 431 clicks are an accurate number and I do understand the 100 of them are through the display network. Is it possible for Google to inflate these figure to make the results look more attractive than they actually are?

Since my original enquiry through this medium, I have had a further 20 clicks and no results whatsoever.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated