AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Unspecified landing page violation... please help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been going round and round with unhelpful people at Google trying to find out why my new adwords account is now suspsneded due to unspecified landing page violations.  It is a super simple website for a local restaurant. I've read the guidelines and I can't find how we might be in violation. 

Can anyone look at the landing pages to help us figure out why Google is rejecting it??? 

www.walnuthillsms.com 

This was the first one we tried, then we tried an interior page: 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Site Un-Suspended

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 14
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good news: we made a bunch of changes, resubmitted the site via Webmaster Tools, and after about 2 weeks the suspension was lifted.  Our ads are now running. 

We still don't know specifically what caused the problem, nor exactly what we did to fix it.  Google representatives have continued to be very vague and haven't provided anything but repeated links to the Site Guidelines policy page.  Unhelpful. 

Here is a summary of what we did: 

1. Added 301 redirects to our other domain names

2. Removed our "splash" page / intro page. 

3. Added meta descriptions to every apge

4. Added alt text to just about every image

5. Streamlined our CSS to use standard H1, H2, and p tags

6. Improved the Title tags of every page

There may have been a few more minor changes that I can't remember right now. 

Thanks again to all who responded. You were MUCH more helpful than anyone at Google.  

View solution in original post

Re: Unspecified landing page violation... please help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Then we tried an interior page: 

www.walnuthillsms.com/walnuthills/index.html

Both were rejected and all they will do is send us links to the same general policies page, without specifying which guideline we are supposedly violating.

Does Google just have so much money that they don't want any more???  

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Walnuthills,

Please check the mail which adwords team sent you regarding the landing page violation, adwords mentioned the reason behind the violation of landing page and then try to correct it. I think if you can provide the links or snap shot or proof of the Awards and the places where your restaurant featured in your website it will give more credibility and autorithy to your page and this can be one of the reason for landing page suspension.

Further you can contact or talk to adwords support regarding the issue.

Dinesh
My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your reply Dinesh.  I have contacted Adwords support repeatedly (phone, email and chat).  They will only give me links to the webmaster guidelines.  Here is an example of one of the responses from them: 

====================
Disapproval Reason
====================
[Landing page and site policy guidelines] Site Policy: We've determined
that your site doesn't comply with our Landing Page and Site Policies.
Because of this, any ads promoting this site have been disapproved.

That still sheds no light on how the site is in violation.  

However, you are the first person to mention anything specific: the awards.  We might be able to link to one or two of those awards if they still exist online somewhere, but the feature on Good Morning America was a TV show (not found online anywhere that I know of).  I don't know how to solve that... we sure as heck are proud of it and want people to know aobut it, but you are saying that Google may be blacklisting us because of an "unsubstantiated claim."  

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello.

Your website has a twin sister: http://walnuthillsrestaurant.com (which I hope you do not advertise at the same time).

The older sister is already indexed by Google. The youngest one isn't.

This guideline http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=46675 specifically instructs website owners to feature original content.

I believe this may be at least one of the issues (in case there are others as well).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We own 3 domains that all point to the same server.  There are no twins or triplets, just 3 ways of geting to the same location. However, you know more about Google than me – so are you saying that we are punished for having multiple domains? 

Thanks for your reply Calin.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello again.

Yes, Google is very keen on indexing and serving results only once, not the same results from three (apparently) different web URLs. Therefore, if you really have three ways of getting to the same location, choose one, and redirect any visitor to the other two to the main location (301 redirect, talk to your server admin about that).

After that get back in touch with AdWords support, by replying to the same e-mail, so they can follow the conversation in their ticketing system, and tell them that the other two websites now point to the same website.

And, maybe the most important part, (for us Smiley Happy ) get back to us and tell us if it worked.

Lots of luck!

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

HI WalnutHills,

The awards could be a problem. What I did not find one either of the pages is a link to your privacy policy, which is absolutely required. That privacy policy must say something about AdWords cookies and how they are used. It must also do the same for your own cookies, if you use them. I didn't check. The home page had no contact info, but that is on the interior page. It may or may not be a problem.

I would concentrate on the privacy policy first. Work up your page then add links to that page to your landing page(s).

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi WalnutHill,

I'm back already. I guess I hadn't read all the replies you got.

There is another way to deal with duplicate copy in 3 domains, that is using  the canonical tag to identify the one single source.

Since you are already indexed and ranked for http://walnuthillsrestaurant.com/, I would recommend you advertise that domain instead, use walnuthillsrestaurant.com as the display URL--it just fints the 25 character limit.

The canonical tag for your interior page will look something like this:

<link rel="canonical" href="http://walnuthillsrestaurant.com/walnuthills/index.html">

Add this tag to all your pages, customized for the exact path of each page in the head section of your pages. This remediates the duplicate content penalty and allows you to continue to run your sites the way they are now.

I also noticed you have not made use of the alt attribute for images or the title attribute for links. These two areas are extremely useful, particulatluy on pages where there is little or no text. Do not just stuff a bunch of keywords in there, but do add text that describes the images and links, and include your keywords from AdWords. It will help page relevancy.

One example, is where you show the phone number and address and hours. You hagve implemented this as a background image. I'm sure you have your reasons for doing so. But if it were implemented as an image, you could include text in the alt attribute for the image that includes the same information as text. That's actually how the alt attribute was intended to be used, as a placeholder for people with browsers with no image support or people who have disabled images, usually for lowere band-width users these days.

All the text in the alt and title attributes is teated the same as text on the page, and at times wgiven a little more weight, particularly the title attribute of the link tags.

I hope some of this helps!

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Pete, what would we put in a "privacy policy"?  We are not selling anything nor collecting any information. There's not even a contact form.  

Regarinding the mulitple domains: we have now applied 301 redirects to the other two domains.  With that being done, would we still need to do the "canonical" tags you suggested?