Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Unlinking Google Account completely from Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have problems with unlinking my google account from an adwords account I created after my google account was stuck within an adwords express sign up process.

1st I wanted to create a normal adwords account with my google account. For the type of business I wanted to set one up it suggested me to set up a adwords express account, which I accepted without being aware of the exact different. When I was entering information in step 2 or 3 of the set up progress my partner told me that he will set an account up for our business so I wanted to leave it. However, I there was no option for me to cancel that sign up (still not completed) and whenever I wanted to accept the invitation of my business partner it lead me back to the sign up process for the express account I started. I called google and got told to give it a few days - the not completed sign up process with be cancelled after a few days. I waited almost a week but nothing changed, so I decided to

2nd set up the account with my personal details and cancel it straight away - which I did. Unfortunately you can only cancel/deactive a adwords account and not actually delete it. Now it is deactivated and it says it can be re-activated within the account. If I now again try to accept the invitation link from my business partner is says

"A Google Account can only have access to one AdWords account.
The Google Account xxx@gmail.com already has access to an AdWords account."

Apparently you cannot link your google account to more than one adwords account. I read in a forum that after the cancellation process has finished you can actually link your google account to a different adwords account if its not active with another adwords account anymore. However, it has been another week now and google still tells me that my google account is already linked with an adwords account.

It is really annoying and I really need to link this specific google account to the adwords account my business partner created. Is there anyone who can help me with this.

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Unlinking Google Account completely from Adwords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Martina,
I know what you're going through, it's a massive pain when this happens. Unfortunately, you're going to have to do a little more work to "remove" that account from being associated with your address.

Essentially, what you have to do is set up a "throwaway" Google/Gmail account and then assign that as the owner of the AdWords account so that you can remove yourself. An AdWords account MUST have an "owner" at all times, even if this owner is a throwaway account.

John gave a great step by step here which should help you complete this: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Change-google-account-to-differen...

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Unlinking Google Account completely from Adwords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Martina,
I know what you're going through, it's a massive pain when this happens. Unfortunately, you're going to have to do a little more work to "remove" that account from being associated with your address.

Essentially, what you have to do is set up a "throwaway" Google/Gmail account and then assign that as the owner of the AdWords account so that you can remove yourself. An AdWords account MUST have an "owner" at all times, even if this owner is a throwaway account.

John gave a great step by step here which should help you complete this: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Change-google-account-to-differen...

Hope that helps.