4.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Understanding keywords and duplicate keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're having difficulties understanding keywords and matching, getting the hated

Your ad isn't being shown for this keyword because there may be other ads within your account that are ranked higher and have similar keywords.

error all the time.

Let's say I'd like to target Mobile Analytics and Mobile Apps.

We've set up two separate Campaigns targeting the same location, etc. so they share the broad audience. We understand, that this in general means keywords are competing against each others.

We've set up the following keywords:

Campaign A:

+mobile +apps

Campaign B:

+mobile +analytics

For ads in Campaign B, Google AdWords raises the above problem when somebody searches for "mobile analytics".

Why is this the case? Is it, because AdWords actually just matches the mobile part of the keywords? The situation does not change when we change

+mobile +analytics into

[mobile analytics]

Our expectation would be, that the precise match keyword would have a higher precedence as opposed to the word mobile in +mobile +apps.

Can you help?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ralf R
September 2015

Re: Understanding keywords and duplicate keywords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Ralf R

Exact match Keywords can only be matched to a query where the search is for that exact keyword structure without any additional terms so if your Keyword is [red shoes] that won't match to a query of "red shoes online".  The only "leeway" in this definition is that queries can match on variations such as plurals, so [red shoes] could match to a query of "red shoe".

For the warning message, I still believe this is a timing issue.  Many messages are not updated immediately and the updates can be several hours delayed.  If you make such a change and the warning is still there 24 hours later that may be a problem but I'd wager it will have gone.

J

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Ralf R

Bear in mind that the Broad Match Modified Keyword match type doesn't restrict the number or order of the words matching in the search query, so in your first case, all the following searches could match to both Keywords:

mobile analytics app

analytics app mobile

app for mobile analytics

where can I download a mobile app for analytics

etc. etc. and plural variations and stemmings and so on.

Why you still see the same warning when you change one Keyword to an exact match is possible a question of time.  Many of the warning messages shown in AdWords do not disappear immediately as soon as the problem is fixed, so it could just be that the message is still being shown, even though the condition that raised it is solved.

Are you also certain there are no other Keywords in the Account that might be conflicting?

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for responding, Jon. Question:

Will

[mobile analytics]

also qualify for the search query

mobile analytics expert

or is exact match deterministic, e.g. there cannot be anything else left and right from the exact match?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
To further add to my confusion:

I've changed ALL keywords to be exact matches. See here: http://s.xy.ag/XkqYjH11jz/.

However, when diagnosing the query

app agentur

AdWords still tells me the ad is not showing due to other keywords ranking higher. I don't understand this. There certainly is no other keyword which would match a query of "app agentur" with the configuration given in the screenshot. What am I missing here?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ralf R
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Ralf R

Exact match Keywords can only be matched to a query where the search is for that exact keyword structure without any additional terms so if your Keyword is [red shoes] that won't match to a query of "red shoes online".  The only "leeway" in this definition is that queries can match on variations such as plurals, so [red shoes] could match to a query of "red shoe".

For the warning message, I still believe this is a timing issue.  Many messages are not updated immediately and the updates can be several hours delayed.  If you make such a change and the warning is still there 24 hours later that may be a problem but I'd wager it will have gone.

J

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again. Last question, at least for today: So "red shoes" would include "buy red shoes" but [red shoes] would not. Correct?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes