Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Underscore or Hyphen in Display URL?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

For an ad's display URL, is there a difference between having www.domain.com/shoe_sneakers and www.domain.com/shoe-sneakers? In other words, is one version more advantages than the other?

When answering the above, would someone please explain how does Google treat underscores?

Are they treated just like regular characters or are they ignored like hyphens?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex K
September 2015

Re: Underscore or Hyphen in Display URL?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Alex,
Underscores and hyphens are treated exactly the same way in Display URLs. As far as I'm aware, no advantage using one over the other.

If you're using Keywords after your "/" and someone searches for those Keywords, the text between/after underscores and hyphens will be bolded (as long as Keyword searched for matches the text in the Display URL).

In regards to Keywords you're bidding on, the only characters that AdWords recognizes are "ampersands (&) and accent marks (á)."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453980?hl=en

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex K
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Alex,
Underscores and hyphens are treated exactly the same way in Display URLs. As far as I'm aware, no advantage using one over the other.

If you're using Keywords after your "/" and someone searches for those Keywords, the text between/after underscores and hyphens will be bolded (as long as Keyword searched for matches the text in the Display URL).

In regards to Keywords you're bidding on, the only characters that AdWords recognizes are "ampersands (&) and accent marks (á)."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453980?hl=en

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for help vkore91. There's an interesting video by Matt Cutts (a senior software engineer at Google) that addresses this issue in regard to SEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQcSFsQyct8#t=59

But for AdWords, I think you're right. Thanks for the explanation.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's a VERY old video, I'm afraid (back to 2011) :-) Search engines have changed a lot since then.

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
This year-old thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to AdWords and this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

This will help other forum members to both see and understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!