AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Unable to save new keywords to existing campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I'm new to adwords. I created a campaign with "filler" ad groups with zero keywords in them. Then, I used the keyword planner to search for keywords, which I segregated into ad groups with the exact same names as those in the existing campaign. However, I'm unable to save my new keywords to the existing campaign as I get the error "An ad group with this name already exists in the campaign". 

Is there any way to combine the keywords I've searched into the existing campaign? I do not wish to create a new campaign every single time I search for new keywords.

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Unable to save new keywords to existing campaign

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Alex,

I think it could be due to the way you tried using the Keyword Planner tool. I would suggest you to first read the below reference to understand how the different columns this tool would recognize:-

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2999770

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for your reply. I've read through the article. Perhaps I should explain my situation more in-depth.

I created a campaign called ABC, and under ABC, there's Ad Groups 1, 2 and 3 which do not contain any keywords.

Then, using the keyword planner, I created Ad Groups 1, 2 and 3 once again and I added keywords into them. The issue arrises when I click on "Save to account", and I'm unable to save the keywords in these new ad groups into the existing campaign ABC as the names of the ad groups are exactly the same.

Is there any workaround to this problem?

Thank you for your time.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Alex,

You can consider using Adwords editor (http://www.google.com/intl/en/adwordseditor/) to upload bulk changes. You can download the keyword report and make changes in the CSV and upload through adwords editor.

Personally, I use Editor to manage my bulk changes. Hope it will be helpful for you too =)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Clarence,

Thanks for your suggestion. I've downloaded the editor but it seems like I would need some time to get myself used to the interface. I think it would be better if I stick to and familiarize myself with the online version.

It would be great if you can provide me some insights that tackles my issue directly. The only way I've overcome this issue was to create an entire new campaign with the new keywords but that doesn't make much sense to me as it seems to be that I'll be losing valuable data on the current campaign.

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Alex,

Did you try inserting the keywords by selecting the existing ad groups from the option like this:

2013-07-26 16_37_33-Google AdWords_ Keyword Planner.jpg

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj,

Yep, I did it in this manner and it leads to the error "An ad group with this name already exists in this campaign". However, this is exactly what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to add more keywords into the current (empty) ad group.

Thanks.