5.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

URLs and the New Ad Creation Update

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was working with the newly updated Ad creation format, where there are two headlines, an 80 character description, and a new URL format. My question is with the URL. Google is attaching "www" to the URL when it is displayed in the ad. Although it still links to the right page, if the URL is typed into the search bar with "www" it does not. Does anyone know how to get rid of the "www" in the ad? Thank you very much for your help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: URLs and the New Ad Creation Update

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
When you are typing in the URL that you want to take the users to, are you saying that what you are inputting in your campaign and what Google is displaying are different? OR you just need to know where to go to make the changes?

Here is the directions from Google:

How to edit display or landing page URLs one at a time
Here's how to edit the display URL or landing page URL for an individual ad:

Sign in to your AdWords account.
Click the Campaigns tab.
Click the Ads tab.
To edit your ad, click on its ad text.
Make your changes in the window that appears. Google shows up to 35 characters of your display URL. Your landing page URL can include up to 2048 characters.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your response. What is happening is that if I enter my URL as "testing.com" it is displayed in the ad as "www.testing.com", I do not see a place to change it.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wesley H
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Wesley,

This is just how Google formats Display URLs. Also, more often than not, Display URLs are not reflective of the Final/Destination URLs and may not exist at all.

I can understand that you'd like to see some consistency but I can't imagine that this will have any major impact on your campaigns. Fake, non-existent URLs have been used for Display URLs in ads forever.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I thought that might be the case, I just wanted to make sure. Thank you