AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

URL domain appearing in my PPC Ad Copy!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello. 

I've recently set up a campaign in Adwords. I entered the copy into the headline fields as required. 

Now my ads are live, but at the end of the second headline, I get part of the domain URL appearing.  

The headline of my ad should say "Brand xxx - Get Clear and Concise Info"  but what appears is "Brand XXX - Get Clear and Concise Info - eu.com"  

eu.com is part of the domain, and is in the display URL, but I really don't want this appearing in the headline. 

Can someone tell me how to remove this please?

Thank you

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: URL domain appearing in my PPC Ad Copy!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Richard T,

Seems an expanded text ad and also seems you did forget to complete the Description field that allows for 80 characters. Or just entered one char perhaps.

Capture-oct20.PNG

My working assumption was that you clicked Responsive ad and then Switch to expanded text ad when creating a new ad copy on the GDN or selected New expanded text ad on Search.

Best,

Lakatos 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lakatos

Thank you so much for your reply. It is just a standard text ad (not responsive), and I did fill in the description field. Below is an image where you can see what I mean. The yellow box at the top shows you how I have the ad set up in Adwords.  The green box at the bottom shows how it looks in SERP.  As you can see the "-eu.com" has been added onto the end, eve though it's not in my ad copy. 

I really appreciate your help.  -Do you know what could be causing this?

Richard

Adwords Error.jpg

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @richard

That is an odd error. You might want to reach out to Google AdWords support directly to ask them what is happening as your ad is set up correctly.

Also, as @Lakatos asked, you are indeed running expanded text ads, not a standard text ad. But this shouldn't be causing the issue you are currently facing.

let me know if that helps!

Nick

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Richard,

Even I have also found Google showing the domain url with the new ETA like the old standard text ads. It is to provide you the best results as per your defined AdWords settings related to ads and bidding strategy.

Right now you are using 20 characters in 1st headline and 25 characters in 2nd headline.

So, a total of 45 characters and hence 15 characters limit is still left which has been covered by the domain url.

If you don't want it to be shown then I suggest you to use approx 55 characters in total in both the headlines.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
HI.

Yes, I was on Chat to Google Support last night and they told me that there
was nothing that could be done about it. They just said that sometimes the
system decides to pull part of your URL in the headline. Although not
every time.

Seems a fairly significant design flaw to me, but at least they confirmed
that the problem was with the system rather than the set up.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Richard

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Welcome @Richard T.

Hope your are now double sure after the confirmation from the AdWords support directly.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’