AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

4.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

URL aliases

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I am setting up a unique landing page for my GoogleAd, is there a way to avoid using a longish, "ugly" URL within my ad? Ideally, I'd like to have www.mycompany.com in the ad itself, but have the link go to www.mycompany.com/decemberadwordscampaign

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Reflection F
November 2016

URL aliases

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello Reflection F,

You are able to use, just the www.mycompany.com in the ad itself, as long as it is the same as the domain of your final URL (and the subdomain, if you have one) anything that follows can be altered or removed from the Destination URL

Here is a link to Display URL: Definition

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Reflection F
November 2016

URL aliases

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello Reflection F,

You are able to use, just the www.mycompany.com in the ad itself, as long as it is the same as the domain of your final URL (and the subdomain, if you have one) anything that follows can be altered or removed from the Destination URL

Here is a link to Display URL: Definition

Hope that helps

URL aliases

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@Terry Crowder is correct. Just to add, in the extended text ad format (the new search campaign ad format, introduced in Q3), when you enter the final url:

www.mycompany.com/decemberadwordscampaign

then Google is going to shorten it to display

www.mycompany.com

And if you use the /path1 /path2 fields, it will be "displayed" as:

www.mycompany.com/path1/path2

So they are doing the work for you, and allowing you to display a "vanity url" which actually goes to the final url entered when clicked. 

More info on the extended text format ads here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/7048854?hl=en

hth!

URL aliases

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Excellent. Thanks Terry and Steve. I actually ended up discovering this on my own after I created my ad too Smiley Wink Cheers, Geoff