AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Typing the correct display URL for my campaign when destination URL is a subdomain

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm trying to create a video campaign, and I've come to the part where I have to enter a display URL and a destination URL. The reason why I'm confused is because my destination URL is a subdomain like the following: www.example.subdomain.com

I thought that the display URL should be www.example.com, but I'm not entirely sure and I don't want the ad to be disapproved because of this mistake. I've viewed the sites below to help me on this, but they don't seem to answer my question.

Sites Viewed

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6021546?ctx=tltp&visit_id=1-636114928024986146-58101...

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2616010?hl=en

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Destination-URL-is-a-Subdomain-...

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Steven J
October 2016

Typing the correct display URL for my campaign when destination URL is a subdomain

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Steven J,

As long as the display URL and destination URL share the same top level domain name, you are good.

Domain: The domains of your ad's display URL and landing page URL need to match. A domain is the core part of your website address. For example, the AdWords website ("google.com/adwords") and Help Center ("support.google.com/adwords") both share the same domain name of "google.com."

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ah, I see. So, for reference, the display URL should be subdomain.com. Okay. Thanks for the explanation.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

a subdomain is the left-side part of the main domain;

e.g.

subdomain.example.com

is the left-part of the main domain:
example.com

www is a common subdomain:

www.example.com

see also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subdomain

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That's not the way that my subdomain is setup though. In your example, my subdomain would be example.com. I posted this question because my subdomain isn't the left part of the domain.

EDIT:

Just to make things clearer, I have a subdomain without a domain.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Steven J,

Celebird is correct, if your destination is www.example.subdomain.com, subdomain.com is your domain, example.subdomain.com is the sub-domain, www.example.subdomain.com is a sub-domain of that. You can not have a sub-domain without a domain. It just doesn't fit with the definitions of the terms. It would help us help you if you did not redefine commonly used terms.

In direct answer to your question, your display URL can be "www.example.subdomain.com", "example.subdomain.com", or "subdomain.com". In the last case, Google will likely add "www" to make the display URL "www.subdomain.com".

Hope this helps.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If you see multiple posts, I apologize. For some reason, my post is not coming up, so I re-posted. Once I see the extra post, I'll delete it.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks petebardo for the clear explanation. To be honest, I wasn't sure if "subdomain without a domain" was the right terminology. When I was searching google to figure out how to describe my website, I came across a couple of sites that looked like they were describing the way my website was set up. The subjects for both of those sites were "Configuring a subdomain without a domain (let me explain better)" and "Setting subdomain without domain".

Also, which commonly used terms are you saying I'm redefining? If I have another question, I want to make sure that I'm communicating it in the best way.