AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Two different campaigns with same keywords but different schedule

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all!
Since this is my first post I would appreciate any help from the community as I cant really figure out the best solution/option. Here is my case:
In our company we're optimizing the performance on Google Adwords. Based on the historical data we are planning to restructure campaigns and ads groups creating new ones.
We sell two products that serve the same purpose but have different features and/or components. But also prices and special offers are exclusive for each product.
My idea is to keep better control of ad groups for each product so I am considering:

1. Create two campaigns for each product with 1 ad group per campaign and 6 ads for each ad group.
  2. Use most of the same keywords for each campaign as both products are targeted for the same or similar audience but only a few keywords would be unique for each product due to their different features.
  3. Run campaigns on different hours so keywords won’t compete against each other.
    My question is simple: Is this a good idea?
    PS: I know that duplicating keywords is not a good practice but I cant figure out how to restructure the account and easily track results for each product.
    Thanks!
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daniel C
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Daniel,

To truly give each product a fair go, different times of day isn't ideal. Often products convert better at certain times of day... For example tradespeople tend to do much better in mornings.

If you are in no rush, consider one week on / one week off. That is more of an apples/apples solution unless holidays have an effect.

If locations don't matter, you could try splitting up the areas you are targeting, and run them side by side. 

Finally, perhaps a landing page with both products on it, showing the benefits and differences of each?

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Daniel,

I do not think there are really good solutions for your dilemmas. If you run the 2 campaigns on different hours (with zero overlapping), it will not be regarded as duplication. All in all, I think what you described sounds reasonable. You'll be able to compare the performance of the 2 campaigns and see which ads, keywords, etc perform better in which campaign. 

Best,

Lakatos

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daniel C
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Daniel,

To truly give each product a fair go, different times of day isn't ideal. Often products convert better at certain times of day... For example tradespeople tend to do much better in mornings.

If you are in no rush, consider one week on / one week off. That is more of an apples/apples solution unless holidays have an effect.

If locations don't matter, you could try splitting up the areas you are targeting, and run them side by side. 

Finally, perhaps a landing page with both products on it, showing the benefits and differences of each?

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Sounds like you're over-complicating things Daniel. Ad testing is a necessity, but six (six!) ads in one adgroup... Even with "equal" serving - That's too much. Smiley Happy

What historical data are you taking into account, and which particular KPI's are you intending to optimize for?

Why/how do two of the exact same products have two completely different unique value propositions?

What is the goal of your advertising?

Your advertising goals should dictate the structure of your AdWords account. What is the objective you wish to accomplish? 

Tom

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

hi Daniel,

You can also seperate your targeting by time as well as location. where one product is shown in a certain location while the other is in another location.

regards,

Zaby

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Posting Guidelines. Please do not include self-promotional links in your posts or signature. The use of a signature is a privilege reserved for members of the Google Top Contributor program

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your answer as our goal is to better keep control over ads and reduce the amount of money invested on Adwords by reducing the number of variables to control.

Best regards,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi RobSkelton,

Thanks for your answer, we are a B2B company so we know from our experience that our clients are more likely to buy on the morning so we though to run ads evenly on the morning alternating days so each product is display equally throughout the week.

Bestz,

Daniel

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tomhalejr,

Thanks for your reply, in fact we are offering two types of offers for each product: Free trial and 1 euro per day offer under the same ad group. So each offer would have 3 dedicates ads to trigger all the keywords we found their work well for us.

We are trying to optimise the quality score and lower the CPA of some keywords also we are reducing the number of keywords as many of them were different variations and now we want to make a better use of match types so we dont need to think in every single variation of each keyword. As we sell a product for offices mainly, many people call them on different ways and we are creating some specific landing pages to better fit or narrow their searches and make the content related to the ads. Both products are water dispensers but the difference is that one uses bottled water (barrel) and the other is connected to the water line .

We try to drive people or decision makers to our website in other to buy our product through the website or contact the sale team for further information. 

Best Regards,

Daniel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zaby,

Thanks for your reply, we are considering that option too.

Best regards,

Daniel