AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Two Search Results With Differnt URL's

Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

I have a website that is suddenly appearing twice in Google search results.  The first result shows a normal url, the second shows a url with a long extension.

https://www.rockymountainexpeditions.com

vs.

http://www.rockymountainexpeditions.com/#!product-page/aw9o6/8e7b1660-ca82-d017-428e-1b4ccfdd388a

They both link to the homepage.  I've never encountered this before.  Is this due to duplicate content, spam or malware?

I used webmaster tools to remove the long url... will this remove my entire site from the search results though?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 10.21.00 AM.jpg

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author
April 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

The both URLs have the same content, so the Google bot take as a duplicate content.

You can remove the long URL from the webmaster tool request. It will not delete your entire website.

Hope this will help.

Thanks,

Aslam

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author
April 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

The both URLs have the same content, so the Google bot take as a duplicate content.

You can remove the long URL from the webmaster tool request. It will not delete your entire website.

Hope this will help.

Thanks,

Aslam

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

That's interesting. This line in the head section should prevent that from happening:

<link rel="canonical" href="https://www.rockymountainexpeditions.com/">

The page may have been indexed before your page had this on it.

In webmaster tools, click on the long URL to find out which website the clicks came from. I've seen the bots come up with some funny looking URL's from other sites. I would attempt to contact webmasters of websites listed, other than your own, and ask them to fix their links. It's really not necessary. The canonical tag is also used to identify the same pages, and that should prevent the long URL page from being considered a duplicate of itself.

After doing all of the above, remove the long URL from the list, then wait and see how long it takes to come back.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Not applicable
# 4
Not applicable

I ended up using webmaster tools to tell Google not to index that specific url and it was gone from the search results within a day.