AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Two AdWords accounts for different subfolders (geo targeting same country)

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Guys - I have a dental client who had two locations in a major city.  He sold one of the practice locations to another doctor who continues to operate under the same brand.

We created a new website for the new doctor and set up a new AW account and campaign using most of the same kws.  However, the budget for the original client is about 3x that of the new doctor.

The problem: initially we split the geo target area equally, but when we made changes so that they would compete in some of the same geo target areas that overlap, the new doctor's daily traffic impressions immediately dropped to near zero.

This doesn't make sense to me.  I doubt this would happen if a new unrelated advertiser showed up in that area.

I need to know to effectively manage two totally unique and distinct, but competing accounts in the same geo area without one cannibalizing the other.  Otherwise I'm going to lose one or both of the accounts.

4 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Interesting.....

Two recommendations: 

I. Set the "overlapping" Geo region is a separate campaign.

2. Slightly raise  the bid, for the new doctor, in the overlap region.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

So they are using the same base URL?

doctor.com/location_1

doctor.com/location_2

In this case, Google will only show the ad of one if they are competing in the same location, regardless of them having different accounts.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@RobSkelton - no

These are two separate and completely unique domains.  Though I admit when I initially set this up, the new doctor was originally set up on a sub-domain.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

In that case, as Moshe said, raise bids until the new ads show. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi,

Agree with Moshe and Rob. 

You could also try ad scheduling to divide the overlapping region into dedicated hours and days... then gradually ease back. Make sure you are using as many of the ad extensions as possible with locations and phone set to each. You could also use display for client A and search for client B on M, W, F and then reverse for T, TH, Sat.  

And have some variations with ad copy and accounts so that they are not clones. 

Kind Regards,

James

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Sorry for the somewhat misleading thread title, it's definitely not what I typed in?

Anyway, all good suggestions, I think we'll start with removing one of the campaigns from my MCC account and managing it directly within one of the business owners accounts.  Hopefully that will remove the conflict.

In addition, I'll set up a new campaign for the geo targets that overlap and raise the bids as well.

We're not running display ads at the moment, but thanks for the suggestion @James_Clemens

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

Removing one of the accounts from the MCC isn't going to change anything. As an example, if you are managing multiple accounts for a single franchise, that franchise can/may have it's own MCC, just to make managing all the accounts easier.

If you have two advertisers competing for the same ad auction impression, but only one available ad slot, only one advertiser can win that single ad slot. Advertiser A has more budget, likely higher bids, and more account history to base the ad impression QS calculation on. Advertiser B has less budget, and less history (possibly lower QS), so if the bids are exactly the same, advertiser A would likely win the ad auction.

Try automated bidding, maximize clicks for advertiser B, give it a week or so, and let the Google machine find out what you need to bid to accrue impressions for that account. You may even want to use broader match types for the newer account, as that will give the Google machine more possible ad impressions to rank for during the sorting process. What has or does work for the more mature account might not (or, not yet) for the newer account. You might have to try some different things to get the account "jump started", so the Google machine can begin to accrue some history.

Tom

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Two accounts will work if you have two different domains.  They are just going to compete against each other.  That's fine.  Just manage each separately.  I've had many clients in the same industry in the same city (i.e. AC repair, pest control, etc).  They each have separate accounts and they can compete for the same terms.  

They obviously won't win the same slot.  But, if there are 2-3 ads at the top of the SERP, they have a good chance of both being shown at the same time.  Also be sure to enable location extensions for both.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@tomhalejr - thank you for the input.  

In this case, things we were going along just fine until we expanded the geo-area of client A.  The impressions for client B immediately dropped from about 250-300 impressions per day to 25-50 including the areas that do not overlap. 

No other changes made that I'm aware of.

That tells me that it's not really an issue of bids, budget, QS or history.  If a new advertiser entered the auction in this general area you wouldn't expect to experience an immediate 90% decline like that.  It's not a matter of who wins the auction, it's a problem with client B no longer being allowed into the auctions at all.

It seems more likely that Google is able to somehow identify that we have very similar campaigns competing in the same general area managed in the same MCC account, causing one to totally cannibalize the other.

I really don't see any other viable explanation for such a dramatic drop.

@Shanee_Kirk - yes we have two separate and distinct domains with unique landing pages.  I agree they should both be able to compete, though obviously, they won't perform the same.