Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Trying to understand top ad format / how it is displayed

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I wanted to get help understanding how top ads are displayed. 

The regular format on the side bar ads and the way its set up in Adwords is - 

Headline in blue

website URL link in green

Description 1

Description 2

But for top ads, google does seemingly random changes to the ad format.

Sometimes it only displays Description 1 but not Description 2, or sometimes it displays both. And the Headline sometimes inlcludes the website address, such as -" Headline I website address (in bold blue)" while sometimes it displays like "Headline with Description 1 " in bold blue and then puts Description 2 in small text at the bottom. 

Top ads seem to be in this format - 

Headline - (Random item - either web address or Description line 1 or 2) in bold blue

AD - website link in green

Either Desciption line 1 or 2 (not sure which or why google chooses) in small black text

I think what bothers me the most is that sometimes in top ads, google only chooses to show one of the two Description lines not both. This seems to always happen when Google decides to stick the Web Address in the headline, it only displays one description line not both. 

So, if I am trying to create an eye catching Description Line to encourage clicks, which Description line should I choose,1 or 2? 

Which Description Line does google always display, and sometimes display in the header in bold blue? Is Description 1 or 2 considered the most important line and the one that could appear in the headline?

What factors decide if Google displays the web address or chooses one of the description lines in the header? Is it purely based on what search query was used?

I personally find it annoying when google displays the web address in the headline, because the second line of the ad is always the green text with my web address link, so its duplicate repeated info.

Is it possible to never display the web address in the headline since the green web address link is right below the headline anyways? I would rather always show a desciption line. 

Its hard for me to decide on how to write a good ad when I cant predict how or which lines Google will choose to display. 

Thanks for any help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Trying to understand top ad format / how it is displayed

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Google constantly tests new formats above the search results. This is a "prime location" most of advertisers seek to achieve  in campaigns.  (Though a client told me once, that is in his campaigns the best performing ad was the ad in the 4th position - the upper right side)

Here is a brief summary on the topic:

Getting your ads above Google search results

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK thanks, I have read that webpage.
Here is a quote -
" In some cases, if we've determined that your first description line is clearly a complete phrase or sentence, we might add part of your description to your headline, creating a longer, more noticeable headline.
When there's enough space, we may also add your website's domain to your ad's headline. The domain will be separated from your headline by a visual separator to make it easy for users to see, such as a vertical pipe ("|"), hyphen, or other separator."

Its the vagueness of this that I am trying to understand.

"in some cases....We Might Add....We may also...." What decides these things? Is is completely based on search query?
How can I write an effective ad if sometimes Google might not display one of my description lines?
Which description line does Google feel is the most important and will always display or might be in the header? which description line should I put the eye catching sales hook in?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi again;

Great question.
Google does not reveal specifics about the algorithm (i.e. What are those "some cases"....)
My experience: most of the times (though not always), the ad was eligible for top postions, and the ad-text met the criterion - then the ad was shown in the "special" / "non standard" format.

I assume that the ad will be shown in a non standard format only if a few conditions are all met.

Rest assure, that  Google does not launch a new format unless tested a verified that CTR is improved. You don't need to worry about ad-copy. Write the ad-copy  for a standard ad. Google will make sure that it is appealing and understood (to users) in any format. (Hence the requirement for a full stop. To make sure that the ad-copy is kept "intact".)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok so there is no way to know what or how Google will decide to display ads in the top positions.

I will further explain why this concerns me. This is how I have been writing all my ads -

"headline - Company name/Brand
description 1 - information what we sell with keywords
descrtiption 2 - line of text that describes a good deal or special sale price"

I want to make sure that Google always displays the description line with the deal or special sale that will bring in the clicks.
So I am not sure how I should write my ads. You suggest I should not worry and let Google choose for me. But since sometimes Google only displays one of the description lines, how will I know that google will display the description with the sales prices and deal information?
Should I start putting the line with the deal and special prices in description line 1 in case google decides to put this line in the headline? It is always description line 1 that might go into the headline?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again Todd;

Let me correct a few misconceptions in your last post.

• >>>"Ok, so there is no way to know what or how Google will decide to display ads in the top positions"
    - This is incorrect. Google explains the parameters for top ad ranks, It does not disclose their weight in the formula, and the specific algorithm for  top ranking, as well as  when  the traditional  / classic ad-format is used vs other (non traditional / non standard formats).

• >>"But since sometimes Google only displays one of the description lines, how will I know that google will display the description with the sales prices and deal information?
    -Google will always show the full ad-copy (all lines).  The ad  format may vary. This is the reason Google has not changed the "ad editing field"s in the asdwords user interface (UI). If some of the text in a classic ad-format were to be "moved" / reformatted, Google would show you a preview within the Adwords UI.  (Similar to the format of a  mobile optimized ad.)

I hope this clarifies the issue.

-Moshe

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok i have tested more variations on the format and have figured out what is confusing me. You are correct google always displays all the ad.

When google chooses to change the headline and include the website address in the headline, google also only displays one line of smaller black text at the bottom of the ad. At first, looking at some peoples ad copies, it looks like it is just one description line not two.
For example -

"Headline - Web Address
AD web link
One line of text"

Doing some tests i see that rather than omit one of the description lines, google combines description line 1 and 2 into one long line. So it would be good to write your ads so that both description lines could be read as a sentence, or two complete sentences.

The only question i have left then about how top ads display is in regards to when google decides to place a description line into the header.
When Google places a description line into the headline, is it always description line 1 or 2?
Or can it be either of the description lines depending on what google thinks is most relevant to the users search? Why I ask is that if google always chooses a certain description line, then I will write my ads so that the sales message is in that line and sometimes is put in the headline.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

>> "Doing some tests i see that rather than omit one of the description lines, google combines description line 1 and 2 into one long line. So it would be good to write your ads so that both description lines could be read as a sentence, or two complete sentences."   - Correct. I agree

The "manipulation" will be (to my experience) on lines 1 and 2 - so focus on "delivering"  the core sale message in these two lines.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok so when Google decides to place a description line into the headline, such as -

Headline - Description Line ( Large Bold Blue Text)

Does Google place Description line 1 or 2 into the headline?

Or can it be either depending on which is more relevant to the the search query?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
I replied. Check my last answer