AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Trying to set up Product Listing Ads

Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

Hi,

I have linked my Google Adwords Account with the Merchant Centre Account. I have set up a campaign and selected Product Listing Ads. I have also added in a few keywords for an AdGroup. But the adverts are not showing up in Google.

Do I need to do something more to get the adwords working with my Google feed from my Merchant Account? 

Any ideas why my Product Listing Ads are not working?

Thanks,

Matthew.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Trying to set up Product Listing Ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Matthew and welcome,

In order to run PLAs or Product Listing Ads, you don't actually require keywords in your Adwords campaign because your PLAs get triggered using the product feed from your Google Merchant Center account. So that means you have to make sure that the feed is correctly created and in accordance with Merchant center policies in terms of attributes and all.

I would also suggest you to create PLA campaign separately from other Adwords campaigns. You would also have to work upon the product targets set up correctly.

Make sure your feed is approved and has not expired which you are using with Adwords. Also both the accounts should be properly linked.

Read more about Product ads policy here: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2457071?hl=en#

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Not applicable
# 3
Not applicable

We are currently targetting All Products. Should this work? Should all products within the feed have its own PLA?

Or must we define Product Targets?

Thanks,

Matthew.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Matthew,

In theory, you could run All Products in one campaign and one ad group. But then you would be bidding the same CPC for all your products, whether they're $10 or $1000. That doesn't give you much room to test stuff, and it will make it tough to figure out what's happening with your campaign.

It's usually a good idea to group your products by theme and/or price point. Organizing by theme helps you figure out which products sell. Organizing by price point helps you manage your bids.

So, how do you get your ads to show up? Could be you need to raise your bids. PLA's don't use keywords as other campaigns. Instead, they work off the product title and description. So try to include relevant keywords in your product descriptions. Also involved in PLA AdRank is the number of reviews you have and the ratio of positive reviews to negative reviews. Google collects these reviews from a number of sites. Having a 5 star rating certainly helps.

And there is a QS on these ads, even though we never see that score. The QS includes the predicted CTR for your product ads. So, if your ads show for a few days and get no clicks, your PLA's move dowon on the page or to the next page. You'll have to bid higher to restore the positions.

QS and AdRank are all about getting clicks on your ads. Provide good images and descriptive copy.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Matthew,

Generally defining the product targets and setting up different ad groups for your products is a good strategy to go with. As Pete mentioned above, it gives you more flexibility and more control in terms of different products as well.

I would suggest you read this reference to set up your PLA campaign more effectively:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456103?hl=en

Pankaj