Guide Me
star_border

Transferring AdWords from Agency to Inhouse

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there

We're transferring a long established Adwords account from an agency that we've worked with and relied on for over 5 years.  The new internal controller of the Adwords account says that he wants control transferred to him or to be given access.

The agency says it cannot give full access because the account is held on their server and if they gave access it would also provide a view to all of their 'tricks of the trade'.  I've gone out and spoken to a few of my contacts in the digital industry - they reckon that the agency should have created partitions to allow the new internal controller to do just that.  

Does anyone have any experience of this - or can they offer any advice?

Much appreciated

James K.

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Posting Guidelines, in order to protect privacy and account security.

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author James K
September 2015

Re: Transferring AdWords from Agency to Inhouse

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi James,

Your campaigns should be housed in an account separate of any other client campaigns, therefore, you should be able to be granted access. AdWords is not hosted on your agency's server, so that's entirely untrue. Whether an account is owned by the agency or the client is an ongoing disagreement but AdWords tends to side with the client (as do I, for the record). If your agency continues to push back on granting access, you should reach out to AdWords directly. In some cases, they will force the transfer. If AdWords won't help and your agency continues to be difficult, you should at least ask for an export of the account.

My guess is that they don't really have 'tricks of the trade'. There really aren't tricks, to be honest, there are just good/experienced managers and poor/inexperienced managers. It sounds like they are just being intentionally difficult.

Hope this helps! Good luck & keep us posted!

Best,
Amy

AmyBishopMarketing.com

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @James K;

If the account was properly opened and set, the advertiser who accepted the TOS, is the owner of the account. Hence, the advertiser is the one who granted the agency the approval the manage the account on the advertise's behalf and not vice versa.

Furthermore; Google's third party Policy requires full transparency. Thus, if the agency is a Google Partner you might consider to file a complaint;

It is not clear from your post whether you are ending the contract with the agency, or adding a controller on your behalf. If the contract with the agency is extended, it should clearly reflect access and transparency of data.

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6086450?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Just to add a few thoughts to the discussion - 

It's possible that the agency has been "aggregating" your ad serving with some of their other client accounts. That's the only "trick of the trade" I can think of at the moment that they might not want exposed. Aside from that kind of activity (which is not necessarily against the policies or unethical), I can't think of any management activity that would need to be "secret" in any way. 

Basically, the question of ownership, as @MosheTLV says, tends to revolve around the question of just who set the AdWords account up and whose credit card pays the monthly bills.

I do agree with your internal account manager--they need full access to the AdWords account. And if you're severing your relationship with the agency, you really need to remove all access to the account from them.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi James,

Your campaigns should be housed in an account separate of any other client campaigns, therefore, you should be able to be granted access. AdWords is not hosted on your agency's server, so that's entirely untrue. Whether an account is owned by the agency or the client is an ongoing disagreement but AdWords tends to side with the client (as do I, for the record). If your agency continues to push back on granting access, you should reach out to AdWords directly. In some cases, they will force the transfer. If AdWords won't help and your agency continues to be difficult, you should at least ask for an export of the account.

My guess is that they don't really have 'tricks of the trade'. There really aren't tricks, to be honest, there are just good/experienced managers and poor/inexperienced managers. It sounds like they are just being intentionally difficult.

Hope this helps! Good luck & keep us posted!

Best,
Amy

AmyBishopMarketing.com
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @James K;

If the account was properly opened and set, the advertiser who accepted the TOS, is the owner of the account. Hence, the advertiser is the one who granted the agency the approval the manage the account on the advertise's behalf and not vice versa.

Furthermore; Google's third party Policy requires full transparency. Thus, if the agency is a Google Partner you might consider to file a complaint;

It is not clear from your post whether you are ending the contract with the agency, or adding a controller on your behalf. If the contract with the agency is extended, it should clearly reflect access and transparency of data.

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6086450?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Just to add a few thoughts to the discussion - 

It's possible that the agency has been "aggregating" your ad serving with some of their other client accounts. That's the only "trick of the trade" I can think of at the moment that they might not want exposed. Aside from that kind of activity (which is not necessarily against the policies or unethical), I can't think of any management activity that would need to be "secret" in any way. 

Basically, the question of ownership, as @MosheTLV says, tends to revolve around the question of just who set the AdWords account up and whose credit card pays the monthly bills.

I do agree with your internal account manager--they need full access to the AdWords account. And if you're severing your relationship with the agency, you really need to remove all access to the account from them.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Amy - that's awesome insight. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and give me a bit of direction + clear up some of the myths my agency is currently spruiking! Much appreciated. James K

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
MosheTLV - thanks for this advice it's really clarifying for me our route ahead. Just to respond to your question - we're moving our Adwords in house + centralising out of the US. Thanks again - James K

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Theresa - and those who've replied. This has been so helpful - I cannot thank you enough. I think that the route forward will be to reach out to Adwords directly - and if needs be post a formal complaint against the agency. In all our dealings with them we have been above board - paid their fees during severance and made sure they are not at all inconvenienced. In return they have repeatedly passed the buck (and me) from executive to executive. The least I can do given your kind donation of time and responses is to keep you posted on how this progresses.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Happy to help! Good luck!