1.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Trademark use question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I have a google ad that was flagged for violating the trademark, "iPhone".   I reworded the ad and made a request to Apple for permission to use the term.  However, all my competitors use iPhone in their ads and I doubt they've received permission.  In fact I had been using iPhone in my ads for over a year without any issue.  I called google and they sent a link to a complaint form to report my competitors but it can only be submitted by the trademark owner.  What options do I have?  I repair phones, being able to use the word iPhone is a big deal.  Thanks for any advice.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Trademark use question

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Joshua,

You can certainly report any competitors using it and help to level the playing field. Please use this interactive web form

With AdWords, it is never about what someone else is getting away with but with each person studying AdWords policies and adhering to them. Those that do not will get caught at some point and accounts will get throttled back or suspended. For you, I would suggest reading and applying all of this info

We that are professional and credible advertisers (and business owners) never take shortcuts and we pay no attention to cheats. We rise above, out perform and outlast... it's the only way to be. 

All the Best,

James

Re: Trademark use question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, if you read the form it requires that you either own the trademark
or be authorized by the owner. I am pasting the language below. Again
just trying to level the playing field.

"We normally accept trademark complaints from the headquarters of the
registered trademark owner, the owner's authorized agent, the owner's legal
counsel, or an agency acting as the first point of contact. If you do not
meet these criteria, please have the trademark owner authorize you to
submit this complaint by contacting ads-trademarks@google.com. If you
already have documentation showing that you are authorized to act on behalf
of the trademark owner please attach it in the "Clarifications" section."

Trademark use question

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Joshua,

Yes, that is correct for the trademark form. I am suggesting you use the report "ads on Google" -which is for any ad that someone believes violates policy. 

Kind Regards,

James

Trademark use question

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Could it be that your competitors are resellers hence allowed to use the trade name?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Trademark use question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

MosheTLV, I don't think so.  If you search "iphone repair" you'll probably see some ads from small, independent repair shops like mine which include the word "iphone".

Trademark use question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The generic complaint form provides this response, "

We have identified your issue could be related to the trademark. For trademark complaints please see our trademark form."

Trademark use question

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Can you upload a screenshot of the SERP showing the ads in question?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Trademark use question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

ok, here you go.  3 of the 4 ads here (none of them mine) contain the word iphoneCapture.PNG

Trademark use question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding trademark policy. 

I have trademarked my brand name in EU/EFTA. I filled in the trademark complaint form and asked AdWords trademark team to revoke the authorization to all AdWords accounts (besides mines, of course) from using my trademarked brand name in their ad texts. 

Unfortunately, I still can find ad texts, where my trademarked word is used in path1 and path2. like this "website.url/trademark/trademark". 

My question is why those companies are allowed to use my trademarked word in their texts? path1 and path2 are not the part of the ad text or what?

also a second question: is it possible to use trademarked keyword as website URL in ad texts? trademark terms do not apply in this case? can someone use my trademark in their ad texts like this  "trademark.eu offers something" << text in ad text.

Thanks in advance