AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Trademark Infringement from the supplemental register with the USTPO

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We hold several trademarks listed on the USTPO principal and supplemental register.  In theory, the supplemental register is not considered an "enforceable" trademark because it can be defined as descriptive, at least initially (some may be updated to the principal register if after a period of time, it meets those requirements).  My question is, does Google use this distinction when determining validation?  I have done quite a bit of research and I am not finding anything regarding this specific issue.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephanie S
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

As @Lakatos mentioned Google does not disclose which registrant it uses to enforce trademark laws.

You should seek some advice on this topic  by a patent lawyer. Generally,  Any trademark  that is registered and is lawfully enforced under US laws, is enforced by Google.  Any   trade name which is not protected and enforced by US trademark laws  - is not enforced by Google.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Stephanie S,

Please be advised that the term USTPO does not match any AdWords documents. 

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You are correct.  Sorry...  it should be "USPTO" (United States Patent and Trademark Office).  Thank you!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephanie S
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

As @Lakatos mentioned Google does not disclose which registrant it uses to enforce trademark laws.

You should seek some advice on this topic  by a patent lawyer. Generally,  Any trademark  that is registered and is lawfully enforced under US laws, is enforced by Google.  Any   trade name which is not protected and enforced by US trademark laws  - is not enforced by Google.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’