AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking conversions completed by salespeople

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We have an order form that customers fill in. Depending on the answers or product, the customer can either purchase right away (in which case, tracking is easy) or it is completed by a sales person (both online).

If the sales person completes, is it enough to just include the same tracking code snippet, or is extra work required to match up the customer's ad clicking to the completion?

Thanks,

Andrew.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Tracking conversions completed by salespeople

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Andrew,

As far as the order completion is done by your sales person, there are many things which has to be considered here:

1. First thing is as you rightly said that it's the cookie attached with user's browser when he/she has browsed over the website and tried completing the order but need someone over phone to help them out.

2. Second thing is Google Adwords will not record the Conversion in your account because it's not the same cookie which is completing the order completion but there is some sales guys doing that from a different system and probably with different IP address and different location.

As far as my knowledge goes, only way these orders can be tracked is via Google Analytics if you have it installed on your website in addition to Google Conversion Tracking. Google Analytics will consider that as a Direct Sale/Order because your Sales guys are directly visiting the website and then selecting the appropriate item to complete the order and reach check out success page. 

I am little worried about this procedure of sales people entering the billing, credit card information over phone for your customers.

It directly indicates that some percentage of users are not finding the whole sale cycle (i.e starting from adding items to shopping cart to order completion) very comfortable. You will have to watch out for that and try to reduce the steps involved in completing sales order on your website so that if users are on your website, they should feel confident and protective while entering all the details.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

Can you please elaborate the process of sales person completing the transaction and how its diffrent from online purchase.

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

(thanks for the quick response!)

When the sales person completes an order, it's over the phone after talking with the customer.

They are using the same web application and completing a similar form, (the customer supplies payment details over the phone).

My concern is that the ad click is associated with the customer (via cookies with google) and this information isn't submitted when the salesperson completes the order.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

okay got your point

1. So sales person completes the order on behalf of user and user doesnt click to complete the order is that correct?

If yes then some more questions to clarify the process

1. Does user fill up any unique personal information before he/ she talks to your sales guy? (like email)

If yes then you can use value track to actually assosicate that email with a certain keyword or campaign and by that way you can track the exact ROI of the same but this wont be possible in analytics or adwords for this you will need a 3rd party software like CRM to capture this info.

Another way of doing this can be creating custom variables in analytics and associating that personal unique info with it.

Please go through following help links for value track and  custom variables respectively. I am sorry to say but there is no easy answer on this one its a very complicated process if you want it to be completely transperant and automated

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375447

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/gaTrackingCustomVariables

Hope this helps

Another thread on similar lines is

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results-use-Analytics/Offline-Conversion-Tracking/m-...

Check it out if it helps you

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Andrew,

As far as the order completion is done by your sales person, there are many things which has to be considered here:

1. First thing is as you rightly said that it's the cookie attached with user's browser when he/she has browsed over the website and tried completing the order but need someone over phone to help them out.

2. Second thing is Google Adwords will not record the Conversion in your account because it's not the same cookie which is completing the order completion but there is some sales guys doing that from a different system and probably with different IP address and different location.

As far as my knowledge goes, only way these orders can be tracked is via Google Analytics if you have it installed on your website in addition to Google Conversion Tracking. Google Analytics will consider that as a Direct Sale/Order because your Sales guys are directly visiting the website and then selecting the appropriate item to complete the order and reach check out success page. 

I am little worried about this procedure of sales people entering the billing, credit card information over phone for your customers.

It directly indicates that some percentage of users are not finding the whole sale cycle (i.e starting from adding items to shopping cart to order completion) very comfortable. You will have to watch out for that and try to reduce the steps involved in completing sales order on your website so that if users are on your website, they should feel confident and protective while entering all the details.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you both for your in-depth replies, it's very much appreciated.

I get the impression the user must be the one doing the completion/goal action. So for now, I've just left it so the customer completing the initial application form is the completion action. Eventually I'll do some work to mark orders as having come via adwords and track that internally.

@pankay1782: Yes, ideally all purchases would be online (the majority are), but the nature of the product means we do have to discuss things over the phone frequently.

Thanks again.