AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Templates, Custom URL's & ValueTrack Parameters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi AdWords Community, I’m new to AdWords and I’m still confused on the subject of tracking templates, custom URL parameters and ValueTrack parameters (I’ve been through Google’s “help” documents on these subjects & I’ve searched the Advertising Community’s queries on the subject).   Wondering if someone out there can answer a couple of my questions?  I apologize in advance if these are seemingly fourth-grade level questions but this something I’ve struggled for a week to wrap my head around.

1. What are the differences between custom URL parameters and ValueTrack Parameters?  Are ValueTrack parameters essentially custom URL parameters that Google has pre-defined values for?
  2. What information do tracking templates capture that auto-tagging does not?  For example, why would I add the ValueTrack parameter device={device} to my Ad Group-level tracking template if I can just segment data by device in the “Ad Groups” tab?
  3. Where does the information gathered from your tracking template appear in AdWords?  If I have Analytics linked, will it automatically show in Analytics as well?

Many thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jake M
January 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes. It basically separates all the tracking information from your actual landing page url. If all you do is link to Google analytics and use auto-tagging, then you don't need a tracking template. Adwords will automatically append a parameter (gclid) to the final url. That parameter includes everything Google Analytics needs to capture the information related to that click.

If you are using a different analytics program, have another reason to use parameters, or for some reason you don't want to use auto-tagging, then you would use the tracking template.

View solution in original post

Re: Tracking Templates, Custom URL's & ValueTrack Parameters

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Jake

That can get all confusing, so no worries. Let's see if I can sort it out.

1. ValueTrack parameters are preset parameters that Adwords will insert a value for when the ad is clicked (e.g. matchtype). You can find the list here (scroll down the page). Custom parameters are essentially ValueTrack parameters that you define.
  2. The valuetrack and custom parameters are more for use in 3rd party applications. For instance, I use a 3rd party platform to manage my accounts. ValueTrack allows me to pull additional information I wouldn't have natively in the application (like device).
  3. ValueTrack parameters won't show in Google Analytics, but most of the information will be there as long as you auto-tagging. Also, as a side note, make sure you don't include utm parameters if you are auto-tagging. It causes data integrity issues.

Hope that helped.

Re: Tracking Templates, Custom URL's

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,

Thanks so much for your response on this, it really clears up the
difference between ValueTrack & Custom URL Parameters.

And just to be clear, tracking templates are basically just the compilation
of ValueTrack or URL Parameters?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jake M
January 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes. It basically separates all the tracking information from your actual landing page url. If all you do is link to Google analytics and use auto-tagging, then you don't need a tracking template. Adwords will automatically append a parameter (gclid) to the final url. That parameter includes everything Google Analytics needs to capture the information related to that click.

If you are using a different analytics program, have another reason to use parameters, or for some reason you don't want to use auto-tagging, then you would use the tracking template.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot David, that's very useful information. I was confused about these as well.

Setup:

You mentioned that Google Analytics tracks everything with auto tracking and we do not need to use ValueTrack .

There is one parameter I have not been able to track in Google Analytics "Ad Clicked" . Google Analytics shows me the ads data as defined here "The first line of each AdWords ad and the utm_content tags that were used in tagged campaigns." 

Issue:

- My ads have the same first line but different landing urls.

- My ads have the same first line but different second line. 

Goal:

I want to be able to track these ads separately. Should I define Value Trackers? Will they work? 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies since it was resolved almost a year ago.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation. It's always best to start your own thread versus making comments to random threads, even if your issue seems related.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic. Making your new thread is fast, easy and allows more specific help directly to you (and not all of the other members in the old thread).

Thank you.